Going to go get Xavier tonight ! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Going to go get Xavier tonight !

I have a new addition coming home tonight I am just sitting here counting down the hours now and going stir crazy, so I thought I'd share what's up.

It's Xavier's parents, they are moving and can't keep him. I am more than happy to have him, although we haven't officially met yet. The picture makes me think he is probably a black velvet. The owner says he is an ebony but as I am a fairly new chin addict with limited real life chin experience I could be wrong but I thought ebonies were all black. What do you think from the picture?

Appently this gal got him from a local breeder, Pacific Northwest Chins, her website is down. I am going to look up her phone number and maybe call to see if she has records on this little guy. His mom can't remember if she got papers on him or not and no idea where it would be if she did have them.

I have a room ready for him, and keep him apart from Emma until I am sure he is a healthy guy. Then I'll move him into the main room where he and Emma might share in some conversation.

I think he is a doll from his pics, and it looks like he is smiling in this picture. His mom says he is a great guy and has had him since he was weaned, he is currently 2 yrs. About the same age as Emma so maybe they will have chin stuff in common to chat about.

They call him XRay as a nickname. How well do chins actually learn their names? I don't mind the name Xavier which is his given name and I plan on calling him that, unless chins actually know their names. Oh - I don't know I am kind of rambling.

Ugh this day is going to go so slow and I already cleaned everything I possibly could have cleaned in the house. Emma says she would like to sleep and requested I quit bugging her, lol.

My wonderful loves:
Emma, Xavier, SweetPea, Mr. Pickles, Mary Beth, Sheldon,Zena,Cadbury,Kapuah,Walter,Lou,Chip, Dilbert, Cartman, Gessepi,Miranda, Henry & Riker (my chins)/ Bunny, Little Cat,Clarissa (cats) , Lucy & Grace (Dappled Doxies) Simon (GSD puppy), Cookie (Australian Shepherd puppy), Captain Jack (cockatiel)
Bella Chinchillas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 01:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Jenn,

Your picture won't load for me - I'm on a cable connection and it's too large, apparently. It's trying to load as a bmp, which can be a huge file. Try saving it as a jpg.

Ebonies can be all different shades of black, ranging from very light to all black.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I'm thinking to go shopping that might eat some time and the rest of the family might like having food in the house. haha

My wonderful loves:
Emma, Xavier, SweetPea, Mr. Pickles, Mary Beth, Sheldon,Zena,Cadbury,Kapuah,Walter,Lou,Chip, Dilbert, Cartman, Gessepi,Miranda, Henry & Riker (my chins)/ Bunny, Little Cat,Clarissa (cats) , Lucy & Grace (Dappled Doxies) Simon (GSD puppy), Cookie (Australian Shepherd puppy), Captain Jack (cockatiel)
Bella Chinchillas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 02:24 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

He actually looks like a black velvet rather than an ebony. Dea at PNWC could tell you one way or the other. Congrats on him!!

PS
I switched the pictures and deleted the BMP so they didn't both load per thread view for you.

Stephanie

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thanks Jade. I did put in a call to Dea, left a message. back to waiting.

My wonderful loves:
Bella Chinchillas
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 07:01 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

He is very handsome. I agree with Black Velvet. He looks like he has a very nice white belly.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 08:48 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

He is very adorable. He has such a pretty face. I say black velvet too

Team Captain: Mother of 250 chinchillas!
New litters weekly...I must be nuts
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

He's home and he is such a doll. He came right up to me, Xray seems very social so far. I think he is black velvet he looks just like my Emma but a little bit darker. I hung out with him a bit last night and then gave him some space. I think I will brew up some coffee and we'll hang out a bit this morning. Funny thing - My two cats had to check out his cage as I was setting it up. I left the room twice to come back and catch one inside the cage with a "thanks for the cage" look, silly cats.

I think Xray is shedding his coat, or something, not that he has any bald patches but little tufts seem to be schluffing out? Also his fur is really long I would guess about 1/4 longer than Emma's, could this be just the way his fur is or could it be from infrequent dust baths? I'm not really complaining it's really nice, soft, really intense color. I'm still establishing my baseline for understanding what is or is not normal for chins.

Happy Tuesday !

My wonderful loves:
Bella Chinchillas
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 10:23 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Congrats on your new chin.

Dea of PNWC chins is no longer in chins. I don't know if she returns her phone calls anymore or not. Did the girl you got him from have any kind of records??? If we had a little to go on I know some people that could help trace more of the records.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Darn, Dea lives really close to me too. He's a pretty boy, I hope I can learn to know more about him. I don't know if we can find out much more info on him. The gals I bought him from lost or never had paperwork on his parents. Dea hasn't returned my call so far.

Here is what I know about him - Male, BV, longer fur, very friendly, he went home with the girls soon after he was weaned and they corrected themselves last night and said he is almost 3 yrs not 2.

My gut says he was sold as a pet but again I am pretty inexperienced about chins still. He has a longer body, I need to get a scale to weigh him, he seems bigger than Emma (longer and beefier) Emma is about 600 grams or so. His teeth seem to be in order a nice yellow and short. If he filled out his length he would be a really bricky shape, he sort of has a big butt? He seems very very active, which might explain him being more athletically built than Emma, Emma is more of a lap chin and likes to run and bounce off the wall but XRay showed great enthusiam about bouncing about and I haven't let him loose in the room yet but I think he'll be a tough one to catch. Hopefully he'll just go back to his cage when he is tired like Emma does. Hs tail is somewhat long, but again I keep comparing him to Emma and maybe hers is short, I would guesstimate his tail is about 8 inches, whereas Emmas would be 4-6. He has what seem to me as average ear size and a more pointy face. I'll be working on getting some good pics of him today and tonight.

The characteristics on him that really stand out are his longer fur, and how dark his black is and how white his white is. I think I am hitting two for two here with temperment, I was amazed at how friendly Emma was when I got her, this little guy is even more so, although a little stand offish about being held and scritchy scratchy, I figure he has got to be at least a little nervous about his move and new people, new room, new cats. I did just have a short visit with him, he came right up to me, I gave him a small bit of dried apple, picked him up, sang him a song and short conversation. I did have to have a pretty good hold of him though he was pretty wiggly but would calm down for short stints, his little chin feet are nice and soft.

My wonderful loves:
Bella Chinchillas
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 08:59 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

Don't you just love holding a new chinnie??

Before I even held Stormy (my ebony girl) I fell in love with her. Held her and fell even more in love.

Now, she's just a snot. *lol* But, I love her to death! She's going to be going in with Snowball soon.

Karen

[

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Xavier's first play time at his new home

Yesterday was fun, he is a wonderful funny little guy. When I put my hand in his cage, he'll come over grab my fingers ( I think he may be looking for a treat) then push my hand out of the way, with more of a deliberate hold then move that hand action. Cracks me up. Xavier was a bit more challenging to get a good pic of but I did I hate my flash, his eyes don't really glow like that, lol.

My wonderful loves:
Bella Chinchillas

Tags
black velvet, dust bath, dust baths, white belly