Got An Email- Dont Know The Answer To This One!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Angry Got An Email- Dont Know The Answer To This One!!!

""I just looked in on my 4 year old male and his penis has blown up (a
section of it) like a balloon! He doesn't seem to be in pain but it's
HUGE and bright red! I remember something somewhere about there
possibly being a hair wrapped around but I can't remember where I saw
that and I dont klnow what to do!!

What do I do!!????

Panicking..
Lisa""

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 09:20 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

She needs to very carefully pull the sheath back from the penis and extend it all the way. There should be a ring of hair wrapped tightly around the penis if that is indeed the problem. Using some vaseline or even better some KY, gently try to loosen it and remove it. I've had to use tweezers at one point, or very small scissors provided she can keep the chinchilla still. Then gently let it retract and keep checking him to make sure it returns to normal.

If there ISN'T a ring of fur around the penis, she needs to take him into the vet NOW. Numerous things could be wrong and most of them could be a very big problem.

Just thinking of this ... when I've seen a male chin's penis while aroused, it is very bright red and swollen, much like a human's penis will do. If the whole thing is like this, it may be nothing more.

Stephanie

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 09:42 PM

I agree with Jade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 08:53 AM
Fertile Myrtle

Send her here!!

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

k!! ill tell her then send her here.... people have responded to what she had talked about---very similar to what jade said ill send her here!!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

My Chinchilla, Rusty, is doing much better now. I just picked him up from the Vet and he looks great! I am so relieved. He is mad at me and wont come to get love..lol
It was a prolapsed-somthing.. I will have to pull out his papers. I have antibiotics and he should be fine.

I will have to house him with another male Chin so this doesn't happen again. Thank you so much for the info and the web-site. I will definately check it out.

There was a woman in the waiting room with a chinchilla. He was lethargic and limp. what would cause this? (for future reference anyway)

Thanks again!
Lisa

what she said back

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 04:26 PM

Sounds like a prolapsed colon. I am glad to hear that he is doing better.

Send her a invitation to come here
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 06:54 PM
Fertile Myrtle

If it was a prolapsed colon then why would him being housed with a female have anything to do with it? Sounds like she needs a better vet.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 01:04 AM

I'm kinda thinking along the same lines as Christi... either it was a hair ring or a prolapse...VERY different! And if it was a prolapse, she shouldn't have to house him with a male b/c of it (that won't stop a hair ring from reoccuring either actually)

Definetly do have her come here, I'd like to hear exactly what the vet said.