Grainola Bars - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Grainola Bars

Looking through a pet catalog I found some bars for chinchillas, but Im guessing it is a treat item. Should I purchase it as a treat? It's a banana raisin treat and it 2.5 oz. Are these items considered to sweet for chins?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Yes they are too sweet for chins. One raisin per day is the max for chins. I only give raisins on very special occasions like the birth of a kit.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thats what I kinda figured. I also was told that cheerios and plain shredded wheat is ok for chins. If I use these as treats how much should I allow her to eat? Right now she doesn't get anything because her food already is loaded with sugar...yes, I'm in the process of gradually switching. I had hutch club, and I'm switching to an alfalfa based food. Its call Forti-Diet by Kaytee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 11:15 AM
Kansas City Chinchillas

I wouldn't use cheerios because of the sugar but some folks use them. I recommend one unsweetened mini shredded wheat per day. You can break it up so you are able to make them think they are getting more treats.

I don't recommend Kaytee forti-diet. Pet store feed is usually old so it has lost what nutrition it had plus the original nutrition is not optimal for chins. Since you only have one chin I recommend buying feed on-line from people who have good feed for chins. It is usually cheaper than pet store feed with shipping included. Here is a site you might want to try http://www.rivendellunlimited.com/

Hope this helps.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Adolescent Pup

Generic Bran flakes with very little sugar (walmart) are very popular with my chins. I brake them into itty bitty pieces and give them 2 or so. (They are less than the size of one chin bite, very tiny) Keep looking in the cereal isle until you find them, walmart brand. They look kind of like frosted flakes, without the frosting or huge sugar content.

I have tried cheerios and un-frosted shredded wheat. My male likes both, my female only likes the shredded wheat and not the cheerios.

Edited to ad ~ When in doubt, check the sugar content.

There is no one TRUE way

* Chloe * Jinx * Berry *

Last edited by Lauren_201; 08-21-2006 at 06:54 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Ok, thanks for the info. I am trying the shredded wheat and she seems to like them. I haven't tried cheerios yet, and I didn't even think about bran flakes, but I will certainly give it a shot!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 10:14 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

if you get her one of the bars brake it into super small pieces so they have just one or two VERY small pieces per day or every other day.

why breed or buy when shelter animals die

home to:
1 dog a pit bull named Troy and a border collie/golden retrever/boxer mix named Amber

and 7 cats (Butterfly, Furchol, Carmel, Nova, Hope, Shaddy& Christian)

3 rats Flora, Fauna, & Merryweather

Tags
pet store, shredded wheat