Greyson & his Malocclusion - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Greyson & his Malocclusion

I rescued a chinchilla -Greyson- August 1, 2009. I was told he was small, and would always be small. i weighed him weekly and he kept loosing weight. I got fed up with the lady telling me he would just be small and took him to my vet, who put him under and looked at his teeth. Turned out he had malocclusion, mostly on his left side. He filed the teeth down and took the Xray attached.
Immediately after his surgery he gained weight, (was no longer a cuddly chinchilla, but a active bouncing off the wall chinchilla!) and was happy.
He had his teeth filed again in August. And he has had consistantly runny left eye since this summer. I am worried that his roots may be affecting him.
Before his last surgery, when he ate, he would just turn his grain into powder. Since then he has gotten a little better. but still spends a large part of the day and night eating. he eats his hay, and his grain, and loves to chew on apple sticks.
He is still fairly active. But he is in a cage with a lazy 10 year old, and Greyson himself is about 5-7 years old. So they arent as crazy as the babies.
So, i really cant tell if hes in pain. He still eats, drinks, plays, and seems to have a good life.
I guess for me, when I see him like this (happy and active), I just can't put him down. But I just Dont Know if hes in pain.... tough decisions...

The Xray taken a year ago is the one posted. The one that was taken this aug didnt turn out well, something was wrong with their machine and it hardly shows up.

Also - sorry its not the best picture. I just took it in my room... its kinda blurry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9428.jpg (55.6 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

No one can really tell you what to do, but I will tell you that my personal opinion is that when the roots are involved (and it looks to me like they are, between the xray and the weepy eye), they're in pain. Chinchillas are prey animals, they're genetically conditioned not to show weakness, so they hide it.

I've put down two of my chins for this condition, solely because I couldn't fix it and didn't want them to suffer. I spent thousands on something I could fix so that wasn't the issue at all. I would speak with your vet about quality of life and maybe pain management in the meantime. It's been several years since I left the veterinary world, I'm not sure what the current treatment is for small rodents in regards to pain medication.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Yeah... ive already spend close to $1,000 on him in the year ive had him... The vets keep telling me hes fine, that they have had chinchillas with this condition who they have treated for 10 years. But looking at the pictures you posted in the Malocclusion thread made me think otherwise. I may go to our Zoo vet and see if he can take a look and see what he thinks. Hes the only vet in Anchorage I know of that deals with more wild exotic animals. Others just deal with pet exotics.

He does like medicine, which could be good if he would be on a pain management. But at the same time, id rather not have to give him pain meds if he has an issue that gives him constant pain otherwise...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 05:12 PM
chinchilla breeder

The roots in that xray are quite bad honestly. I imagine he is in quite a bit of pain and unfortuantly even with filing when they roots are the issue there is no fixing that. eventually they will grow into his nasal cavity and will slowly kill him. I am very very sorry to have to say.

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

Tags
chinchilla, malocclusion