Grooming Help!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Grooming Help!!!

Okay I've read a lot of web site about grooming chins, and mine have been looking kindy icky, espically Murphy who had a baby about a week ago, so i thought I'd give combing them a try...
HOLYMOLY!!!!!
Fur was flying everywhere...she did not want to be combed!!!!!
First I tried just having her sit on my lap with a shreaded wheat treat...and that worked for oh about 30 seconds....so I tired just holding her with one hand and brushing her with the other....that didnt work either...so then i tried holding her by her tail....and that's really when the fur flew!!! I know some of it was just the sheding but I ALOT of it were hair tufts.
Any advice out on how to groom her with out her FREAKING out? Murphy's the mellow chins, so I havent even tried it on the other one....i can't even imagine what he'd do!!!

~Misty~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

I think I'd let her be while she has a baby. Females can change drastically in their mood when they have babies. I wouldn't stress her out right now, try it again after her babies are weaned.
I don't know of a single chin that actually LIKES being groomed. What kind of brush are you using? Are you using a comb that kind of looks like a flea comb?

Alicyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Grooming has to be done very slowly and you have to take time to introduce the chin to the comb. First start out brushing the chin with the back of the comb so it gets used to you and the feel of it. Once the chin accepts the back start using the comb in the correct position. Start by just combing through the tips of the fur, do NOT try and go all the way down to the skin or you will just rip out the fur. If you hit a snag, work slowly drawing the comb up and back, don;t try and force it through. It is not like grooming a cat or dog, it's an art and it will take practice and many many sessions before you chin will be fully 'groomed' Then once the initial full groom is accomplished, once a month or so will maintain them. If you have a show breeder near you try and get them to show you the technique. You will get lots of fur, just not clumps!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!