Gunning to speak at shindig - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Gunning to speak at shindig

As it looks right now we will have the pleasure of having Bob Gunning (who developed the Gunning black velvet) give a presentation on how this mutation came about and how he developed it. He will be doing this at MCBA's Shindig in Auburn Indiana on Friday night August 5th with a pizza party to follow. So make your plans to attend and bring your questions with you. More info on Saturdays agenda to come soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Wow, awesome news Randy! Thanks for sharing.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Adolescent Pup

I wish I could go to a chin show, but the closest ones to me are usually NC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 08:34 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Oooo! I foresee a short road trip in my future!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 11:07 PM

Here is the entire agenda.

Shindig

Friday night:

7:00 p.m. A discussion with Bob Gunning,
Mr. Gunning is the creator of the Gunning Black Velvet mutation. Come hear how the mutation was started and his feelings on how the animal looks today. There will also be a time for questions and answers.

9:00 p.m. Pizza and Social Hour
Visit with old friends and get to know new ones.

Saturday:

9:00 –9:15 a.m. A report on pelting

9:15-9:45 Preparing for an emergency

9:45-10:45 Breeding your chinchilla
• different ways to breed (pairs, runs, colonies)
• breeding dos and don’ts
• linebreeding
• the breeding life of a chin
• what to do if they don’t breed
• dwarves and minis
• evaluating the quality of young animals

10:45-11:00 Break

11:00-12:30 Health issues of the chinchilla
We will discuss the proper care of a chinchilla, including diseases to watch for, which medicines work best, feeding treats, birthing complications, prolapses, when to seek veterinary care and the overall care of the animal. A question and answer period will follow.

12:30-1:30 Lunch

1:30-1:45 Fungus
Fungus is a nasty word, but most everyone will deal with it eventually. Learn ways to prevent it and what to do if it happens.

1:45-2:15 Hair ring checks, swabbing females and malocclusion
See how to do a hair ring check and swab a female for breeding. Learn the causes and signs of malocclusion.

2:15-2:30 Break

2:30-5:30 Concurrent sessions

Session #1 Quality issues
Understand what to look for when deciding the quality of your chinchilla. Topics covered will include clarity of color, fur density, pattern and texture, veiling, prime and blended bar.

Session#2 Show prep
Bring a chinchilla to practice grooming on. Learn how to fill out the paper work and take care of all the other things necessary to be ready for a show.

Session #3 Evaluate your animals
Bring up to 3 of your animals to be judged informally. You will have the opportunity to compare them to other chins of the same color.

6:00 Dinner
Fish fry! Call Joan Baldwin at 260-357-4462 to make reservations.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

So how many are planning on being there Friday night to hear the presentation on the Gunning Black Velvets and how they came about.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I so wish I could be. You guys ought to record it and sell it to help support the chapter so us folks unable to get time off work can see.

Stephanie

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 06:15 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I'm going to try!! I sooooo want to hear Gunning speak! We'll see what happens with the work schedule but chances are I'll be able to switch my day off

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 08:46 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

DOH! I would love to go, but can't! Maybe I can take off for next year so I can go!

Karen

[

Tags
black velvet, veterinary care