Hair ring help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hair ring help

Now, Nipper has gotten a pretty bad hair ring today and I'm trying to remove it but he's so wiggly. My husband is away. Any advice on how to hold him still? He's only had one other one and he took care of it himself but with his leg bandaged, I'm not sure he's going to be able to. I don't want to hurt that part of him too...oy. My little guy is having a rough time these days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ Nipper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 09:05 AM
chinchilla breeder

Try burrito wraping him. or wait until a friend can help hold him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

You put your thumb behind hes head/neck.
The rest of your fingers should be under hes chin, but with hes front paws between your hand and his chin.
Then you lean him against your chest, and do what you need to do.
You need to hold tight, but not hurt him.

I use this method when I have to give antibiotics. It's the only way I can do it alone...

Because of his front paws, you shouldn't be scared of chocking him

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks. I've surprisingly gotten good at antibiotics on my own with him. I ended up putting some lubrication on it and seeing if he could get it off on his own. I also ended up taking him into the vet anyway today for his leg and had the vet look at it too and he had gotten it off before I got him there. Now, poor baby he's all swollen down there...how long until that goes down?
The vet said to just let it go and it will go down.
He's really keeping me on my toes this week, more than normal! Sheesh! Thankfully they said surgery isn't necessary for his leg right now but it will mean lots of trips for bandage changes for me for the next few weeks.

~ Nipper
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 03:06 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

A day or two, then it should be like normal

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks. He actually got another really bad one shortly after that one that cut into him a bit. We got that taken care of and put cream on for a few days that the vet gave us. It's pretty much back to normal now. We're still making vet trips for his leg but that's healing up nicely too.

~ Nipper

Tags
chin care; hair ring