Hair Ring...weight loss...infection??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 04:12 AM
KatPaws74

Hair Ring...weight loss...infection???

Before I write anything I know that you're gonna say that I should take him to the Vet but I can not. I am not gonna repeat my story about Vets here so I could really need some usefull advice (other than - "take him to the Vet").

I wrote about a month ago that my male chin was not feeling so good...He seamed to have some cramps but few days lated he was fine again. You guys gave me great advices to check on that "hair ring" which I did - and he did not had that problem at the time, but your advices sure helped me few days ago.

About four days ago I saw his peepee standing outside and he could not pull it inside so I rememberd what you told me. I clened him up...put all things back to their place but tomorrow it happened again. So, I cleaned him again but that time I noticed like he had a scratch on his peepee cause his skin was torned a little and I applied some antibiotic creame on it. After that for two days he was just fine...jumping around eating...but today I noticed he is just standing in one corner. I took him in my hands and noticed that he lost much weight - much like skin and bones I don't understand - I saw him eating yesterday.

Is there any Chin desease that is connected with weight loss? Could he been having some urinary infection? Is there any antybiotics that I can give him and how? I remebered you mentions something about giving him yogurt (hope I spelled it ringt)...is it the one people use? Can I put some antibiotis in it and than feed him on syringe? Any shots that I could give and what dosige? I could realld use any advice. I already lost one male chin two years ago and now I fear that I am gonna lose this one too. On the other side my three years old female was always nicely fat and healthy - lucky gal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 05:04 AM

Hi, you probably don't want to use antibiotics unless you know for sure what the problem is, they are easy to overdose, you would probably need to see a vet to get the right ones, and you don't want to use them if it isn't neccesary so that your chin won't build up an immunity and not respond when he does need them. As far as chins losing wieght, that is the biggest symptom for most illnesses. Do you know how much he's been eating? I think the norm is about 2 tblsp a day. What kind of pellets do you feed?You might want to hand feed him a mush made up of ground up pellets, and/or nutrical. How are his poo's, big/small, soft/hard....? I would suggest getting a little kitchen scale to keep tabs on his wieght so you can tell if it's still going down (It's a good idea to do that even when he's healthy too). Oh, and what kind of cream did you put on his sore...it's possible he licked it off and it may have upset his tummy. Sorry I can't help more, but if you answer those questions, I'm sure someone will be able to offer more advice. Unfortunatly these guys are hard to diagnose without seeing them.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 08:10 AM
Fertile Myrtle

You definitely need a scale - that way you can have a healthy weight on him and you'll know when he's losing. I strongly suggest getting one, you can get them just about anywhere, it doesn't have to be an expensive one.
I agree with Becki on the antibiotics - don't give any without a vet. Also, mixing the antibiotics with yogurt is moot, the antibiotics will kill all the good bacteria in the yogurt. You should always wait at least two hours before giving the yogurt.
You need to get some food in him immediately. (See this thread and read Sassy's post on how to make a mix for him.)

Please answer the questions Becki posed to help us help you better.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 08:17 AM

Quote:
I noticed like he had a scratch on his peepee cause his skin was torned
If his penis is torn, he diffently needs to see a veterinarian. You should NEVER self medicate a antibiotic.
The weight loss could very well be from a infection, whether it is a urinary tract infection or what needs to be determined from a vet.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 10:58 AM
Fertile Myrtle

I know you said not to tell you to take him to a vet but at this point you may very well lose him if you don't. There are too many things wrong for us to help pinpoint what it could be and even a vet who isn't knowledgeable about chins is better than no vet at this point. Weight loss is a bad sign and so is the torn skin - your chins life is likely in danger and your only hope is probably to get him to a vet. I am sorry.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 05:25 PM
KatPaws74

I just got back from work and he looks much worse now...he is not even standing anymore but lying on the side. I donít think he will make it through the night Whatever I wanted or did not wanted to do it is too late now. My first Chinchilla male died two years ago - probably heart attack caused by worm weather. Now, this one is dying too - I really donít have luck with male Chins

As for other questions the amount of food, stool...etc I would have to put him in another cage to determine that because in this one there is also female so I canít tell which stool is his, or how much he ate and how much she ate...besides he stopped eating at all today. As for your advices of what to give him - thanks, but I donít have all these pellets and other various stuff you mentioned...there is only rabbit pellets on our market so I feed them with that and various seeds in addition...yeah, life would be much easier if I live where you live guys [sigh] and if I could order online...or whatever

I know that taking him to the Vet is something that should have been done...and donít get me wrong - I am not heartless. If I thought for one second that they might help him I would take him and pay no matter how much. The thing with Vets here (in Yugoslavia) is that sometimes they really donít know how to help your pet, especially if it is an exotic - not commongly kept pet around here...so they just squeeze you for every penny and the pet dies anyway. I experienced that with my African Grey Parrot, with my Chihuahua female dog (who both died because Vet negligence) and Iíde be ****ed if I let them fool me again - they donít know $hit! There I said it. You guys on this board know more about Chins than theyíll ever know. I have one Croatian book with general animal diseases and there is a section for Chinchillas too...there are many illnesses described which all look alike but you know what the suggestion for treatment mostly is? They say that the sick animal should be eliminated from the rest of the herd and put to sleep...in other words - donít bother to cure them just skin them. People here donít keep Chins as pets (although there are few farms that breed them for fur) so the Vets at the clinic donít have much experience with them.
You should have heard what stupid stuff they told me when my Parrot got sick. I had to come for two days until they found a Vet who knows about big parrot diseases...and it turned later that he actually only cured chickens - very similar, not?
And when my Chihuahua female got an closed uterus infection. My mom took her to the main veterinary clinic in town, at the specialized department for dog genealogy problems...and the Vet there examined the dog and told my mom there is nothing wrong with her...Ēshe is an old ***** with hormonal troublesĒ...a week later she got even worse so we asked for a second opinion and did an X ray too. The second team of Vets scheduled a surgery but my Bessy died before she had it...second Vets said she would be saved if the first Vet who examined her set a proper diagnose.

So, please donít get me wrong. I want to help my Chinie but it just isnít as simple as it seams. Thanks anyway! I learned a lot from you all here and I am glad that at least I have you to advice me {{{{hugs to ya all}}}}

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 05:51 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Wow, that does sound like an impossible veterinary situation.

I'm so sorry about the situation with your male. If you have access to any yogurt, I would at least try that for now, as well as maybe crushing the pellets and mixing them in to get some calories into him. You will want to separate him as well, just in case it's a communicable disease rather than an infection and so that you can monitor him better. Also, if you can get access to any hay, it's vital for a chin's health. The rabbit pellets likely don't have the right protein amounts and you'll need to supplement them as well; alfalfa hay will do this if the protein is under 18%, which should be written on the package's guaranteed analysis. They generally don't have the needed fiber amounts, which the hay will take care of also.

Your female chin will eventually have problems as well if she doesn't get the right nutrients. Her organs will be working overtime to get rid of the extra ingredients likely found in the rabbit food that chins don't need. If need be, I can order things (such as food, hay and supplements) online for you and we can figure out a way to mail the money and the items back and forth -- I'd be more than willing to help you. I can't imagine not being able to get the things my chin needs.

I wish you the best of luck with your chins. Please contact me if you're interested in the things I mentioned above.

Stephanie

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 06:47 PM
Jorgha

Ok, first of all, feeding rabbit pellets to anything but a rabbit will cause malnutrition. Here is a really good article about chinchilla nutrition: http://chins.paw-talk.net/nutrition.htm.

If you can get something at your pet store in the cat section called Felovite (order it on line maybe?) get some and give it to your chin. It is a vitamin/mineral supplement that works great for nursing sick animals back to health.

As for your dog. The vet was right. A ***** with hormonal problems. It is called pyometra (sp?). It happens from a female dog being left intact and not being mated. Untreated it causes the animal to go septic and die. The cure is spaying the animal provided that it isn't sick enough to have a hard time with surgery. It can be prevented by spaying the second you know that you know you will NOT being breeding the animal.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 04:42 AM
KatPaws74

He is still alive...barely...

Jade, thanks for the advice and your offer to help. Iíll try to see if a friend of my in Oz can get me some stuff...and if not I will contact you and weíll figure something out.

Jorgha, I know what you mean about rabbit pellets but put yourself in my place and tell me if I canít get Chin pellets should I not feed them rabbit pellets at all? I never saw that Felovite in any of the pet shops here - if I could order anything online of course I would order it. As for my dog - the Vet was right WHAT? That she had hormonal problems and he send her home without any treatment? I know not it was pyometra. My second Chihuahua female got it too but taught from previous experience with our first female that died, we knew what it was and I asked for that second team of Vets to operate her - we didnít waste any time and she is just fine now. BTW, they were both show and breeding females for a long time.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 09:00 AM
Fertile Myrtle

Quote:
I know what you mean about rabbit pellets but put yourself in my place and tell me if I canít get Chin pellets should I not feed them rabbit pellets at all?
Honestly, you shouldn't have the animal if you cannot take care of it - it's not fair to you and it's not fair to them. In the future please research and make sure you can provide everything your animal needs before you purchase it.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Honestly, you shouldn't have the animal if you cannot take care of it - it's not fair to you and it's not fair to them. In the future please research and make sure you can provide everything your animal needs before you purchase it.
I agree with you 100% Christi!

Instead of the chinchilla suffering it should have been taking to the veterinarian as soon as you noticed the weight loss. A responsible pet owner would take their animal to the vet instead of allowing it to suffer.

Just my .02
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 09:08 AM
Fertile Myrtle

Quote:
Originally posted by Alena
KatPaw, I also would like to add that I am not passing judgement on you, I feel and understand your pain and i COMPLETELY understand where you're comming from. Those who have never gone hungry do not understand the pain of starving.

Please make no mistake, I am not passing judgment and I apologize if it sounded that way - I'm merely trying to point out that this could have been prevented. And Alena, I don't see how either of your examples relate - a person should not get a pet if they cannot accept full responsibility for it and provide it with everything it needs. Being responsible for an animals life is a decision that millions of people take much too lightly each and every day - it should be thoroughly researched - your having a pet should benefit that animal just as much as it benefits you. This is just my opinion, and like you and everyone else here I am entitled.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 09:33 AM
Fertile Myrtle

Quote:
Originally posted by Alena
Well, first off, my post took a long time to write, so my passing judgement comment had nothing to do with your posts, as I hit "reply" before you or Sassy posted.
I didn't mean to imply you were directing your statement at me - I just wanted to make it clear that I am not passing judgment.

Quote:
A person is compeltely capable of giving a chinchilla proper nutrition w/o the ability to purchase Mazuri, Kline or ano thoer system outthere. All it is is mixing the right ingredients.

I never said they weren't, Alena. I am not trying to argue with you.

Quote:
The main issue at hand is that KatPAw ALREADY OWNES chinchillas, and we, as a group, should not tell her she is irresponsible for having them, but lend her a helping hand and all the advise we can provide. If she came to us ASKING if she SHOULD PURCHASE a chinchilla, that would have been a different story.
I agree, and I see that many members here, including myself have offered help.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 10:38 AM
KatPaws74

I own the other female Chinchila for three years now. During that time she was never sick, never injured or had any health troubles at all. I don't think that I am that much iresponsible. I do provide her with variaty of seeds and hay, and even if I did mention that rabbit pellets, I gave them as a supliment to seed food and not as a main food. You should see how my female Chin looks and than pass judgement. Even without that "special" Chin food it IS possible to keep Chin live and healthy. I also supply them with gnawing stone for their teeth - I do the best I can whit what I can find here.

Alena thanks for your support and suggestions. My city does have a big zoo but they don't keep any Chins there.

I made few phone calls today and found a friend of my boss who is importing some bird foods from Germany. His supplier also has a Chin food "Quiko Premium Line Chinchilla" so I finally ordered it. Don't know how much time it will take for it to arrive but I will have it soon.

There were few more things I wanted to add but I will leave this thread to rest in peace just like my male Chin is resting in peace now.

Closed Thread

Tags
african grey, african grey parrot, alfalfa hay, pet owner, pet shop, pet shops, pet store, rabbit food, rabbit pellets, responsible pet owner, urinary tract infection