Half a pellet ? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Half a pellet ?

Walter, a two year standard male, has an unusual way of eating his food. He only eats half of his food. Maybe he is watching his boyish figure or ???

His teeth seem fine, that was the only thing I could think of regarding the "why" would he do this.

Walter eats half his pellet and either sets it back in his bowl or next to his bowl, making a pile of half eaten pellets. If you sweep his little pile into his bowl, he digs them out pillaging through looking for whole pellets. It's just the weirdest thing, I end up giving the chins in the cage above him, his half pellets.

Anyone else have a chin with odd pellet habits?

My wonderful loves:
Emma, Xavier, SweetPea, Mr. Pickles, Mary Beth, Sheldon,Zena,Cadbury,Kapuah,Walter,Lou,Chip, Dilbert, Cartman, Gessepi,Miranda, Henry & Riker (my chins)/ Bunny, Little Cat,Clarissa (cats) , Lucy & Grace (Dappled Doxies) Simon (GSD puppy), Cookie (Australian Shepherd puppy), Captain Jack (cockatiel)
Bella Chinchillas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 12:18 AM
Part of the Pack

My boys do the same thing Maybe its a guy thing and they just like to be messy Sometimes I give my Degus the left over half pellets because they don't seem to care

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chilla, our female

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Twin boys, Cadbury and Punkin
Casper.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 12:19 AM
Adolescent Pup

I have a few that do that. My guess is that they're just plain picky. I have one female that will pull out all of her pellets from her feeder then eat them off the floor of her cage...but if I just put them on the floor to begin with, she won't eat 'em! Crazy chinnies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 05:22 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Each chin has his own special way to eat pellets.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 05:47 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Audi does this. She drives me nuts!

I had her x-rayed just for my peace of mind and her teeth are perfectly fine (perks of working with an exotic vet ...). Crazy chin.

Stephanie

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I don't feel so alone now, thanks everyone. None of my other chins have this particular quirk....yet.

This brings up another question. Do you think Chins teach things to each other? The old monkey see, monkey do?

My wonderful loves:
Emma, Xavier, SweetPea, Mr. Pickles, Mary Beth, Sheldon,Zena,Cadbury,Kapuah,Walter,Lou,Chip, Dilbert, Cartman, Gessepi,Miranda, Henry & Riker (my chins)/ Bunny, Little Cat,Clarissa (cats) , Lucy & Grace (Dappled Doxies) Simon (GSD puppy), Cookie (Australian Shepherd puppy), Captain Jack (cockatiel)
Bella Chinchillas
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 03:10 PM
Playful Pup

My chinnies seem to think that it is wrong to eat the entire pellet. They will stand at their bowls (I've seen ALL of them do this!) and pick up a piece of food with their hand, eat down to their fingers and drop the rest. Because of course it's too much trouble to open your fist and eat the other half! Silly chinchillas!

I think that chins can teach each other things. Fluffernut came from a petstore and when I brought him home, he didn't know how to dust. After several dust days, (a few weeks, dust twice a week) he finally figured it out! So my answer would be yes!

Animal Lover through and through!

Annie and Mishter Wittle!

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter... the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment, and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied. "I created You."
~ Jim Willis, Author, Animal Rights Activist
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 07:13 PM
Part of the Pack

I think that chins can teach each other. I had 2 little boy chins that never chewed anything except their toys and then one day I brought home another little boy chin and he taught them to chew everything BUT their toys! They're naughty little boys but I love them to peices!

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

Chilla, our female

Twin boys, Cadbury and Punkin
Casper.

Tags
exotic vet