Handfeeding Roméo - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Handfeeding Romeo

Ok, I'm still rotating him with Audi every two hours. And feeding him an hour after I take him out. Just now he took 10 cc's of formula (evap. milk, water, Nutrical, and some baby formula).

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 08:36 PM

Baby Formula????
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Yes, Georga suggested I add a little bit of baby formula to the mixture - she said it's better for him and has more nutrients.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

It sucks - there is so muc conflicting information!! One breeder says use KMR, another Whole milk and Mixed Baby Cereal, another 2% milk, another Evap. milk and water! ROAR!!!

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Just fed him again and he took 20 cc's - that seems like a lot - is he not nursing maybe??

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 11:21 PM

Your right about the different info you get on the milk.For my orphaned bunnys I have use both KMR and infant formula.I wish you well with this little cute bundle!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 01:00 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I am glad he is doing well.He is such a beautiful little guy

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

He took 15 more at 2am and 13 at 6 am!!

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:29 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Wow, he's eating a lot. I wish I had some insight to offer but as I've never been down this road all I can say is that as long as he's gaining weight and still eating, you must be doin somethin right!! Hang in there hon, and be sure to give him a cuddle for me.

Stephanie

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:50 PM

I use evaporated milk and water, that is what was suggested to me by a rancher, also there was recenlty a article in the MCBA magazine about handfeeding this is what is recommended. (except they suggest adding light karo syrup- I do not add that)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Chinmom said I should be taking Audi out and supplementing her and leaving Romeo in with Kinjin because he needs her milk more - but I'm afraid part of the problem is that he's not nursing enough. He falls asleep when I feed him - I'm sure he falls asleep while nursing. What I'm doing seems to be working so why fix what's not broken, right? LOL

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 02:18 PM

I would do it the way you have been doing it, he is gaining weight and is a little more active. Keep up the good work.