Has anyone ever fostered a kit to another mother? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone ever fostered a kit to another mother?

Sunni had a litter of triplets on Sunday and today Brooke had a litter of 1, I was thinking it might be easier on Sunni if we gave one of her kits to Brooke to raise.

Has anyone ever did this? How would I go about doing it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 03:08 PM

I have done it once... I just took the baby from one mom.. petted the foster mom then rubbed the foster baby. then put the baby in with her. She did great.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 03:54 PM
Erin

I know nothing about chinnies, but with guinea pigs you can put another sows pups with any other nursing sow and she will raise them like her own. If two sows are together with their pups they will nurse any of the babies no matter if it's hers or not

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

The one baby I tried today would not accept the new mom. the new mother was cleaning her and trying to get her attention but she wouldn't have nothing to do with it. I am going to try the smaller girl tomorrow. If it don't work out I will handfeed and rotate the three.

Thanks for the advice.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 01:26 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I have never tried it either only with my hamsters which was a success.I wish you lots of luck with trying it with another.You know if you ever need goats milk just let me know.I will send it right away

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

I may have to take you up on that offer Runt, I have one can left and will probably open that one tomorrow.
Thanks
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 01:32 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Let me know I will get it and ship it to you

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 04:31 PM
buny2phat

Sassy I wish you the best of luck with trying to get the other mother/kit to take on one another.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 04:38 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Supposedly if you rub something scented (vanilla, etc.) on both mom, her kits and the new kit, they'll all smell the same and accept each other!

Good luck!

Stephanie

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 11:27 PM

The lady that I bought my chins from has done that. She had a rescue kit. She had a chin that had just weaned her kits so she put the little kit in Mocha's cage and she took care of the kit as if he/she was her own. It is a quite sad story. But all in all it worked out great.

What had happened was that Tiny(the kit) was very sick when JoAnn got him/her. Mocha took care of Tiny. Tiny died and Mocha was very heart broken about it. She laid over Tiny's little dead body trying to keep him/her warm. JoAnn went in to get the baby and Mocha ended up Bitting JoAnn's finger to the bone. JoAnn did not get mad at Mocha because she was just being a good mommy. Mocha stopped eating and drinking. She ended up dying.

Sorry about that sad story. I just wanted to show you that a chin can be a good foster mother.

Good Luck with what ever you decide.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 11:33 AM
Misty

Fostering

I would try the runt of the 3 and see if it will accept the mom and visa versa. By putting the kits together in a very small carry cage ... not much room to move around in ... they will exchange sents ... then, place them both back with the momma ... she should accept the new kit.
When it is the kit that rejects the new foster mom ... if they will get along ... place the two moms together in a small cage so that they will exchange sents, then try again to place the kit with the foster mom. If the moms will not get along ... place an all cotton cloth in each cage ... then excange the cloths, placing the foster kit in with the foster mom at the same time you move the cloth.
Laura, thanks for telling the story about Mocha and Tiny. Tiny was a female with a birth defect ... she stayed with Mocha untill she was 4 months old ... Mocha really loved her and died of a broken heart and starvation ~ she would not eat or drink after little Tiny died, no matter what I tried. She was a devoted foster mom.

Tags
guinea pig