Hay ! I'm making a mess. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Hay ! I'm making a mess.

Hay there and here and there and here. I just have hay everywhere. I did a search on all threads with the word hay in it and couldn't find help. (I gave up after page 7, and you know the help was probably on page 8) I did find some fun older posts, but I digress. HAY ! I need a better hay solution, or a hay solution period. I don't mind it as much when the chins knock the hay from their cage but I am more annoyed with myself when I am pulling hay out of the container to put in the cage I make a big mess.

Any advice on hay storage, or getting hay to the cage with less mess?

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 12:59 PM

I don't think this would be much help, but my husband and I have a Rubbermaid container that we keep the food in and another one for hay. We stick the dish in the container, fill it with hay and hope that a lot of it doesn't get on the floor! Normally we're pretty good about keeping it in the dish transferring it to the cage.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 01:15 PM

I'm afraid I can't be of much help either. I have a lot of hay around here for my rabbits and it does get scattered around! I've read that hay is supposed to be kept in an open conatainer that lets air circulate, so I open up whatever bag or box it came and then set in it a plastic bin where I keep a lot of the other rabbit supplies. I buy hay in small quantities so I'm able to store it like this. It doesn't really get messy until I give it to the rabbits and they throw it everywhere! I've just accepted that I have to clean the area (and the whole room) every day with my little broom and dustpan. Hope someone on here has a better method to share with you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 02:53 PM

I keep hay in a rubbermaid bin with holes drilled in it for ventilation and air circlulation...what I do is drag the bin to each cage, fill the bowls in the bin and when I put the bowls in the cages, I have the bin right under it to catch any stray hay that might try to escape...This does NOT keep hay off the floor, but it does minimize it some
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 06:48 PM
Proud New Mommy

We have the same problem with hay everywhere when we try to give hay to the chins! I have no solution for that.... Although we make hay boxes for less mess once you give the hay to the chins!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 07:30 PM

We do the same, we keep hay in a rubbermaid container and have it close by the cage when filling their hay basket up. We have homemade hay cubes made from galvanized wire (they are really easy to make) this helps minimize the hay scatter inside the cage as well.
I think it's just something we all deal with
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

drat ! I was hoping for a magic solution. I do like the rubbermaid container idea, I'll give it a go, my hay is in bags and I have heard before it's better to store it open to the air ( I just leave the bag open) but dragging it cage to cage and pulling out handfuls, I'm so messy ! lol It's enough to clean up after the chins. It isn't that is is hard to clean up but like you say it's a twice a day ordeal. I get as much off the floor as I can with my little dustpan and hand broom, pick up what I can, and vacuum.

I put those hammock things in my cages and surprise non of my chins really cares for that, but they have been making handy hay holders.

I was out at the Costco here ( a big wholesale shopping warehouse) and saw a big shop vacuum. It got me to thinking I want one. Not the one they had there it had more features than I think I want. I just want a good sucker with a big bucket. Currently I am using my Kenmore Canister and as it is my house vacuum I imagine as much chin room vacuuming as I do and what I vacuum up in there I can justify needing a special vacuum for the chin room. I am thinking a little dustbuster would be handy too.

Just trying to streamline some processes here, I want to be able to expand my chin herd but I better get more efficient! I also found some cool slide in place wooden flooring that's got me thinking too. All of my cages are on wheels and going across carpet is doable but a smooth surface would be easier. Of course my chin room is one of two room carpeted in the house, the rest of the house is hardwoods but non of my other rooms are really suitable for my babies, it's karma probably I really should have behaved more in my early twenties. OK now I need to find the website that sells the money tree seeds, anyone remember which one it was?

Thanks for the hay ideas.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 11:09 PM

Jenn, I bought huge cardboard boxes that are used for storage (sweaters, blankets, etc.) and keep all my hay in there. I have two of them and cut holes on the top of the cover and put them in my closet. When I am ready to fill up the herb pots I use as food bowls, I simply put the herb pot in the cardboard box (because it is so big) and fill it up so I don't create a mess.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Newborn Pup

Store hay in cardboard boxes, the size you feed them in. and just put a new box in. That way you can make them outside and they will always be ready.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Newborn Pup

maybe if you just try to pull out small handfulls...i dont' know..

Safe and inexpensive chinchilla supplies:

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Playful Pup

just be careful with the shop vac that you dont scare the living daylights out of your chin.. ive heard that sometimes they can be sensitive to stuff like that, my friend's chin loved the vac.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 01:25 AM
Part of the Pack

I keep mine in a bin under the cage. When I take hay out to feed them, I always have the hand held sweeper ready and sweep up any that dropped and just add it to their pile If you have hay - you will find it everywhere. I went to school the other day and my friend pulled a piece out of my hair... :/!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 06:02 AM
Newborn Pup

Ugh, yes hay hay everywhere! My chins are sooo messy and I find it all around their cages. It clogs my vacuum (which is a dyson and supposedly not supposed to have problems like that) but sitting there picking it all out of the carpet is a pain in the butt! Their pellets and poops are easy enough to vacuum up, but the hay, UGH!

I love that box idea though! Maybe if I stick it in the middle of the cage it will keep most of it inside the cage as they nibble the box and eat the hay inside it. Although I just picture them sitting up there having hay throwing competitions in the middle of the night. Honestly, how else are they getting it 3 feet away from their cages? Poop too!

Someone needs to invent a super sized lint brush! Haha!

Tags
cardboard box, cardboard boxes, chin room, food bowl, food bowls, hay cubes