In Heat = Constipation??????? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 08:15 PM
Brownie

In Heat = Constipation???????

Hi All!

I need more advices again.

I notice that my chins poops are smaller (size of a grain of uncooked rice for Brownie and Perry's poops is slightly bigger than hers.) than usual when my Brownie has her heat. This is the second time so far. They had constipation last month too during her heat as well.

Their food intake is normal - pellets and hay only. I don't give treats nowadays, only occasionally. They still drink about the same amount of water - approx. 1-1.5 ounces everyday. (Is that too little???)

I have been giving them 1/3 of a pitted prune (Sunsweet brand)each on alternate days. I have only given them 3 times so far. Dunno if that helps at all.

Has anyone experience the same thing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 08:30 PM

Check here
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 08:47 PM
Brownie

Hi Sassy!

I checked out the thread already. So, do you mean to say that constipation is not related to her heat in any ways?

I did check out some of their fresh poops and found that they are firm and not too dry, except that the size of it is smaller.

Could it be their hay? I just bought a fresh pack of hay airflown from APD. Someone once told me that hay that are too dry can cause slight constipation as well. But the pack I bought looks quite fresh and green. Any comment on this?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 08:54 PM

By APD do you mean American Pet Diner?
They are not drinking alot, that could be your problem, try putting a bottle of half apple juice half water on their cage , to see if they will drink more. Also try some alfalfa hay cubes. Try giving a raisin a day, just 1 raisin each.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 09:00 PM
Brownie

Yes, it's American Pet Diners.

I'll try the apple juice. Will apple juice mixed with water turn bad quickly in room temperature. Someone once suggested using glucose water to entice them to drink more. Is that ok????

How much water is required for a chin in a day? I used to feed 1 raisin a day but I was advised not to as that gives their body too much sugar to process. Is that true?

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 09:09 PM
Fertile Myrtle

GASP!! Mine get 2, yes 2, raisins a day!! LOL Really, it's fine, and probably good for them (helps keep them regular) to give them one a day.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 09:14 PM
Brownie

I'll put the raisins back then.

Whew!!! Sometimes, it can really be confusing!!! Different people, differnt advices! I'm still learning the 'right' way to keep them healthy. So, whenever I have a problem, I'll try every method that sounds ok to me to get them well.

Sigh!

P/S: Can anyone answer my queries above? Would appreciate that. Thanks!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 09:17 PM

Yes the apple juice will go bad if left on too long, when I use apple juice (50% water-50% juice) I change it twice a day. I find that they drink more this way.
I give my chins a raisin everyday, it is fine to give them a raisin every day.
I have never used APD's hay, so I have say nothing about it. I personally use Oxbow.

DO NOT give your chinnies Glucose water, it contains to much sugar, use bottled water like spring water.

Last edited by Sassy; 03-04-2002 at 09:19 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 09:37 PM
Brownie

I used to buy Oxbow hay for them but the supplies are irregular and so, I switched to APD.

I am feeding them boiled water now. Will monitor and keep all of you updated.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 09:44 PM

I forgot to answer your one question, I do not think the heat cycle has anything to do with constipation. What brand of pellets are you feeding them?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 09:53 PM
Brownie

I'm giving them Oxbow pellets now with some Alice Kline pellets in the ratio of 2:1. I give 3 teaspoonful (not flat) of pellets each day. They seemed to like AK better. I introduced AK to them only last month. Their poops were ok when they started on it and so I don't think it's the pellets.

I used a mixture because Oxbow supplies are irregular in Singapore. AK pellets are expensive here. About S$10/lb (USD5.41).

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 10:02 PM

Can you get Mazuri there? The AK diet is very expensive here as well.
Here is a link to Chinchilla Nutrition it is very educational. It tells about the different brands of pellets for chins.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 10:09 PM
Brownie

Yes. We do get Mazuri here. I'm thinking of switching to Mazuri after I finish my 2 pounds of oxbow pellets. But I'll still keep the AK part for their diet. This is to get them to accept 2 types of pellets so that if 1 type of pellets runs out of stock, they will still have the other type that they will eat.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out now.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 10:16 PM

I really do not think that it is a good idea to mix pellets, that may be what is causing the constipation problems you are having. I highly recommend Mazuri as will almost every chinchilla owner on this forum. Mazuri is sold in 25 lb. bags (you can bag it up and stick in freezer) It is not a good idea to mix pellets that way, it is probably what is keeping their stomachs messed up. You should get on one brand and keep them on it. Just my .02...
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 10:50 PM
Brownie

They were quite ok with the mixture from the start. The small poops only came about middle of last week which coincides with her heat. everheless, I'll stop adding AK pellets to their feed and see what happen next.

Do you guys feed supplements such as rolled oats and flexseeds?

Tags
alfalfa hay, hay cubes, heat cycle, rolled oats