Hello Chinchilla people!! Got some ?'s - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hello Chinchilla people!! Got some ?'s

I have some chin questions.......I have never owned one but I was contacted about taking two in to find them a home. I was wondering if I do take them in what does the vet need to check when I take them in for a check up.
Also how are they with a change in enviroment? do they stress easily? if so how should I go about in not stressing them so much?
I am getting back with the lady this week she said her desion to get rid of them is she has no time for them so I am not sure what kind of disposition they have can chinchillas have a evil side? because if I take them in and they are mean and bitiers it may take some time for me to tame them how would I go about that?
Thanks so much and if I think of any other questions I will be sure to post

_/ _/ _/ Varinia_/ _/ _/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 11:30 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

How wonderful that you're willing to help!

Most chinchillas will adapt well to a change in environment if left alone for several days to adjust. I have a few articles on my site that you're welcome to read in the care section. Click on "First" and it will give you an article on preparations to make, "Bond" will tell you how to approach them and "Intro" will tell you about quarantine, etc.

Chins can be fearful but I know very few who are truly MEAN. One of my girls will spray urine if I try to pick her up wrong but she'll let me pet her and is a love bug when she's out.

A vet should listen for a heart murmur, run a fecal sample on each chin, palpate the abdomen for any abnormalities, feel along the jaw for any obvious tooth overgrowth, check the incisors for good color and length, and generally just do a basic physical.

Please do feel free to ask any more questions! Let us know what happens!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 11:32 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Well, hello there! The vet should know what to check for if you take them to a knowledgable chin or exotics vet. Mainly, teeth, parasites, malnutrition, just overall health.
Chins can easily be stressed. You'll need a nice quiet enviroment for them during the day, keep plenty of fresh water and hay as well as chinchilla pellets for them. Make sure you get the kind the previous owner had...changes in food can cause many problems and feed should be switched slowly adding a little more new food to the old over at least 2 weeks time. Give them plenty of chinchilla safe wood to chew on and wear their teeth down on...good choices are pine (untreated), willow, untreated apple branches and a few others that I'm not thinking of right now.
Chinchillas CAN have an evil side...I have a female that is still spraying when she gets freaked out, and as far as biting is concerned, they all test nibble EVERYTHING! You may want to do a google search for some websites pertaining to chinchillas. You can check mine at http://home.earthlink.net/~cutiepeach26/index.html or another really good site for info is www.spoiledchins.com You will find a ton of info and a lot of answers to your questions by checking out other breeders and chin owners sites. I also have a complete list on my site of things you will need to have on hand before you get your chins...so that will help you be prepared for their arrival. Also, check my links page for links to other great breeders with lots of info to share! Good luck and if you get them...pictures are a must!! Congrats! Rescue work is so rewarding!
Jade, posted above's site is www.chinnitude.com She does have a lot of really good info and I recommend you read through it...you'll learn a lot!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at

Last edited by Chinchilla_Girl; 03-20-2004 at 11:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 04:03 PM
Playful Pup

Lunaradius, where are you located? Are you taking in the chins to re-home or keep? I'm asking because I help place chins nationally who need re-homed, I may be able to assist if you're not able to keep them.

Some more EXCELLENT sites to check out:
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Park/6920/
http://www.chinbin.com/
http://www.chincentral.com/
http://www.chinquest.co.uk/
http://www.chinchillas2home.co.uk/

( http://www.chincare.com/HealthLifest...ne.htm#allstar )

"Compassion, in which all ethics must take root, can only attain its full breadth and depth if it embraces all living creatures and does not limit itself to humankind." -Albert Einstein

chincare.com, an educational site and matildesmission.org, a chinchilla charity that helps rescue and ranch chinchillas
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Well I was going to take them in and rehome them but the lady decided to sell them to a pet store because she said "someone who has experience will buy them" I said maybe or maybe not but at least I was trying to learn about them.
Thanks everyone for your help!

_/ _/ _/ Varinia_/ _/ _/
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 12:22 PM
Playful Pup

Well, that was a stupid decision. And pretty mean, too, for both the chins who will be sitting pretty for any impulse buyer who happens along, and for you because you are a person with a kind heart who would have done right by those chins. Sorry to hear.

"Compassion, in which all ethics must take root, can only attain its full breadth and depth if it embraces all living creatures and does not limit itself to humankind." -Albert Einstein

chincare.com, an educational site and matildesmission.org, a chinchilla charity that helps rescue and ranch chinchillas
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 08:04 PM
Proud New Mommy

That's aweful.. Im so sorry.

People just don't think and realize reality.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau

Tags
chinchilla pellets, pet store