Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Red face Help!

Ok.....

I have a problem here that I'm hoping someone can help me out with.

Creamsicle is known for time and time again getting hair rings. This is my problem. I am very nervous about taking the hair ring off myself, thus taking him to the vet everytime one occurs.

Any suggestions on how to get over this? I watched Kindra's video, but it went by so fast that I really couldn't get a handle on how it's done.

Someone please help!! If I could get Dan to help me with it, that would be great. But, we all know how Dan is!

Karen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 09:22 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

The best way to learn is to do it. I would watch the video a few more times and go for it. Normally the male will calm down once you start working on "the area". Be sure to use lots of water soluable lubricant!

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I learned from having someone show me and help me. Is there anyone near you that you could ask for help? Maybe the vet could help you show you how to do it by yourself? I learned at a show. I had someone stand there with me and show me how to hold them and everything so that I could do it by myself. It's really not too bad once you get practiced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Katie, when I do get him to the vet, I'm going to have them show me again. And Dan as well. That way I can have someone at home help me. Then I'd really feel more comfortable.

Karen

[

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 02:10 PM
Part of the Pack

Do males have to be checked for hair rings even if they're not kept with females? I've never checked mine before

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

Chilla, our female

Twin boys, Cadbury and Punkin
Casper.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 08:13 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Crazy chin lady I thought you needed to remove a hair ring when you asked about it. I agree to have the vet show you how.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 11:35 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy
Do males have to be checked for hair rings even if they're not kept with females? I've never checked mine before
Yes males can get hair rings even when kept alone. I have 8 single males and they all get checked regularly, some have had hair rings in the past. They get them from cleaning themselves, when the penis retracts it pulls some fur in with it.

Karen, the easiest way to learn first is to have somebody hold the chin with the belly facing towards you (c'mon Dan!). You should learn to gently extrude the penis by pushing the skin back and then pull it all the way out. If he is nervous about holding chins, ask your vet or tech to hold them. Oh and make sure when the penis retracts back in, there is no fur caught in it!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 04:01 PM
Part of the Pack

How often should they be checked for hair rings??

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

Chilla, our female

Twin boys, Cadbury and Punkin
Casper.