Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Help!

I have a plastic bag that I always leave next to my chin's (Optimus) cage which I use to throw away his old hay and stuff. I always put it far away from the cage, but last night I guess I left it too close. This morning I went to check on Optimus and he had the bag through the wires on the cage and it looks like he mostly tore it, but I'm sure he also ate some of it. I know plastic is lethal for chins so what do I do? He seems totally fine, he's bouncing around, looking for a treat like he always does in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I called my vet who specializes in exotics and they said there's nothing they can do because chinchillas can't vomit. She said just to watch him and make sure he is eating. Does anyone have any other advice?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Nope - same advice as the vet. He'll most likely be fine, mine did the same thing once and didn't really eat any of it, just chewed on it. Just make sure he is eating and pooping.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm so worried about him. I have to work all day today, but I went home a few minutes ago to check on him. I guess I'll just keep checking and hope for the best.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'd give an extra raisin or two and lots of hay and just watch him. I honestly wouldn't worry too much.

Stephanie

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ok. Thanks a lot for the help. I gave him a raisin this morning and he seems to still want his hay, so I guess he'll be ok
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Will It Ever Change?

best wishes and *hugs*

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

My little guy seems to be doing fine. He's eating and pooing normally, so I guess its safe to assume he is going to be ok??
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Glad to hear he is doing well. He is probably just fine but continue to be sure he is eating, drinking and pooing for about a week.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

Tags
doing fine