Help! Another sick Chin!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 09:25 AM
mundjl

Unhappy Help! Another sick Chin!!

My newest chin, pepper is sick!
It's kind of weird though because it's very different from when my older chin was sick a few months ago.
Pepper is eating and drinking normal from what I can see but all day yesterday he just layed around either in his ball or in his hay house by himself. When I took him out, he had poop stuck all over him and it was EXTREMELY mucousy. He is still very alert when i take him out and runs around a bit but is just very mellow. He's only about 10-11 weeks old so he's usually a big ball of energy! His poop isn't mushy though so it's not full blown diarrhea and he's pooping a normal amount so I don't think it's constipation either. Any suggestions????????
Thanks!!!!
Jen
Squeeker, Kazmo, and Pepper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 09:39 AM
Member formerly known as MistyLea21

How long ago did you get him? Or was he born at your place? It might be a change in pellets if you just aquired him from someone else.

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Custom Designer Jewelry, Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads and More!

Eyes Of Texas Chinchillas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 12:38 PM

Yes, I agree. Did you change his brand of pellets and if so did you do it slowly?? Take away his pellets and give him just lot's of loose timothy hay. You can also burn a piece of toast black and feed that to him. No treats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 01:27 PM

You can also try UNFROSTED shredded wheat squares.

Let us know how he is doing
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 01:33 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Another method I used is pure wheat germ or oat bran. I've had a bout with soft stool lately in two of my chins and as long as the underlying cause isn't parasitic or an imbalance, this can help firm up the stool. If none of these work, I'd go ahead and schedule a vet visit to run a couple fecal tests and see what's going on. Is Pepper separated from your other chins? You may want to do that on a precautionary basis until you figure out what's goin on!

Best of luck to you -- I know it's no fun!

Stephanie

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 02:25 AM

All good home treatments! I would definetly say take him to the vet if it's not better very quickly though. I could be mistaken, but I think the mucous could be a sign of giardia...Jade do you think so? Good luck on getting him well quickly!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 10:18 AM

Here are the symptoms of Giardia: I found an article on this sickness. I hope it helps.

Day 1 ~ slight cut back on amount of food eaten and slightly back on water consumption ( about 25% each) ~ mild diarrhea, with the feces being rounder, softer, more moist than normal and covered with a rather shiny mucous. This is a situation sometimes seen with chinchillas, without alarm to us because the mucous disappears quickly.

Day 2 ~ eats only about 1/2 of it's food and 1/2 to 2/3 normal amount of water ~ mild diarrhea, again the same as before. We may think he/she is only being picky and will do better tomorrow. If 2 or more chins are housed together it is hard to know which one is not eating or drinking.

Day 3 ~ will only eat oats or soft food, no regular hard pellets and 1/2 normal amount of water or less ~ mild diarrhea as before, but less of it. You may think it is getting better and not to worry because the diarrhea is almost gone and surely he/she will perk up tomorrow.

Day 4 ~ Chins will not eat food, not even treats and is down to 1/4 normal amount of water consumption. The chins seem to be more irritable than normal. The diarrhea is replaced by feces that appear to have some partially undigested food in them, is firmer, little moisture and less than the normal amount in number. Eyes not wide open as they usually are and are dull in appearance. By now it is obvious that she is not feeling well. She appears listless, quiet, showing signs of dehydration and loss of weight, withdrawn to a corner or a hut and not come to the front of the cage to meet you as they normally would. Finally you realize there is really something wrong, but it is almost to late now or it may already be to late.

Day 5 ~Chin will not eat or drink ~ no feces seen ~ completely listless ~ very weak can not, or barely can, stand on it's own ~ as it progresses ~ loss of control of head ~ chin found laying at the front of the cage underneath water bottle, as if to draw your attention to it ~ slight twitching or tremors can be seen ~ almost completely dehydrated ~ labored breathing ~ gulping for air, followed by death within minutes, but sometimes up to several hours.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 02:53 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Informational article there. Where on earth did you find it?

Giardia does sound possible and I'd lean towards a fecal test by a vet who's dealt with giardia.

Stephanie

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 01:28 AM

Good article! I didn't know that giardia struck so hard so fast. Scarey stuff How is Pepper doing? Any luck with any of that stuff?

Tags
shredded wheat, timothy hay, vet visit