Help with bedding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Help with bedding

im looking for a way to keep the bedding and droppings in the cage, i want to keep it clean and not have to get rid of my chinchillas. does anyone have any advice?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Playful Pup

i use fleece to keep the messies in the cage...for the bottom i make a fleece pillowcase that i put a towel in to absorb the urine. i use fleece about 6 inches high as a skirt on the edge tightly to keep most of the droppins in the cage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

i have tred that once but i cant keep washing the thing and the smell gets bad fast and i wrry that the small will make them sick because of the aiced i have a idea like that for the poopies tho its to put a boxs around it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 03:18 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i wonder if they make liners for rodent cages like they do for cat littre boxes

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 03:13 PM
canis lupus familiaris

They do make liners but I wouldn't use em due to em being plastic (and much easier to chew and swallow) but try a heavy litter. I had an issue with all small animals Ive owned (chins, rats, hamsters, guinea pigs) and decided to try paper (Yesterday's News to be exact.) It worked as a charm but didn't keep the smell down as well. I'd say try using YN with some eco bedding on top (its AWESOME in the odor department) or Cell Sorb Plus which is also paper but seems to work better.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Adolescent Pup

i had this problem, and i use pine shavings with mine. i had my husband cut a border to go around the cage, and since has seriously decreased the amount of floor cleaning i have to do. i was having to do it daily, but now i go 2 or 3 days without doing it. the borders are made of pine.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Newborn Pup

I found a wooden box, about the size of a large shoe box, and I put Carefresh pet bedding in it. the bedding keeps the smell down and the wooden box has pretty high sides which keeps almost all of the bedding inside the cage instead of on the floor around the cage. I would not suggest pine for a chinchilla in any form since it has a resin that can be harmful to chinchillas if swallowed.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

yea i just went and got a litterbox ment for ferrets and put the bedding in there and took out the bedding of the cage and that fixed it

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Part of the Pack

I too used fleece - I had several premade ones and washed them as needed.... no mess this way.

R h a p s o d y -
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 11:01 PM

You shouldn't use pine bedding with your Chinchilla, it can give the a respiratory infection. And you can see if you can get a liner for a birds cage. Sometimes they make them big enough. It's fabric and it goes alone the outside
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 07:40 PM
chinchilla breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughlilbratt View Post
You shouldn't use pine bedding with your Chinchilla, it can give the a respiratory infection. And you can see if you can get a liner for a birds cage. Sometimes they make them big enough. It's fabric and it goes alone the outside
Kiln dried pine is fine to use.

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..