HELP! injured chinchilla - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

HELP! injured chinchilla

I don't know what to do!

I have a male Chinchilla that is maybe 2 years old. i usually let him freely run around a couple rooms in my home during his playtime. Today (about 30 mins ago) i was trying to enter a room and quickly shut the door behind me (he tends to bolt at the first chance of escape) and he shot through the doorway and i accidentally shut the door on his tail!!

The tip has been severed as well as a long string-looking inner part of his tail!! I'm thinking maybe it is a nerve ending?? He bled a bit but it has stopped now. The weirdest part is that he is still running around and munching on things acting like he's okay. he doesn't act like he is in pain. Maybe he lost feeling in his tail??

He can tell that something is up and is wagging his tail weird sometimes but isn't making noises or acting like he's in pain at all! I don't know what to do! I called a 24hr vet (it's 11pm at night) but the closest one is over 2 hours away so i though i should wait till the morning to drive to a closer one. What should i do in the meantime?

I read that when injuries occur you're supposed to put antibiotic ointment on them (like neosporen??) but the annoying this about my chinchilla is that he has never been the cuddly or affection type. he hates being held and doesn't even like people very much.. so getting ahold of him is very difficult.. i don't even know how to go about bandaging him up!!

Please help! &sorry for the wall o text

-Christine

Last edited by Accidue; 10-05-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Adolescent Pup

Hi, Accidue. I just saw this post and was wondering how everything went.

Dogs: Merlin and Shiloh
Chinchillas: Imp and Zephyr
Horse: Westwind Classic Genie
My rat angels: Roo, Zara, Nicodemus and Socrates all playing and waiting at the Rainbow Bridge until we meet again.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 07:18 PM
Newborn Pup

hi, i also just saw this post, i sure hope everything is okay.

jean

Safe and inexpensive chinchilla supplies:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
injured chinchilla