Homemade Toys - Safe Pine? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question Homemade Toys - Safe Pine?

Hi! I'm relatively new to Paw Talk, but so far everyone seems so nice! I have two Chinnies (I bought them from Chinhappy!), Athena & Ransack ~ formally Chee Chee & Bickles.

I want to try my hand at making some toys for them.
Yesterday, I went to Lowes and bought some pine. I asked the guy who worked there for "untreated, kiln dried pine". He said that *all* the pine was kiln dried. And the untreated pine was the stuff that was not greenish in color.
When I read that I need "untreated" pine, that means "not the green stuff right?"
One of the peices I bought was a 2x4. There isn't any reason that I couldn't use that right???

Also, for those of you who make your own toys: do you dye them? What do you use? I would assume that food coloring would be safe, but would probably get on their fur. Any better alteratives?

Thanks!
~Nellie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 01:11 AM
Incubator Cricket Killer

That is the wood I use for my chinnies I have no idea on what works best for coloring since I have never colored anything for mine (toys are just as much fun plain, lol), but I have heard of people using food coloring and unsweetened Kool aid. I'm not sure I'd want to flavor the wood and encourage them to eat even more than they already do though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 01:53 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

yes, generally home improvement stores color code their wood so you can easily distinguish untreated from treated wood. otherwise, they would be a lawsuit waiting to happen with the way that some of that wood gets switched around ...

in case you didn't know, the reason you do need untreated wood is because treated wood contains pesticides and other compounds that extend wood life but are harmful if ingested by humans and animals. the epa also sets down guidelines that treated wood should never come in contact with any drinking source ... so, it is serious stuff.

most of the toys you see in the pet store are made from natural, vegetable dyes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 04:42 AM
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

LOL if it is not green then it should be ok. You should sand it down so it looks nice colored and doesn't have any dirt or markings on it (like the stamps or markers they use to code them).
Also you don't NEED to dye them. You think those chins care? I'd suggest cutting the wood into small squares. I've got some big blocks here and the chins just sit on them and pee >_< The small ones they can carry around since their favorite thing to do is chew and chew and chew so that it comes off the chain or wire that's holding them together.

I have my bf cut whatever scraps he has in his dad's workshop and drill small holes in them so i can put them on a wire. They CONSUME the pieces of wood. After 5 minutes they already look mangled. I go through ALOT of wood

Alicyn

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thank you guys for the info!
I knew that the green stuff was treated so that it wouldn't rot as quickly so I wouldn't have used it regardless. I just wanted to make sure that that is what was meant by "treated".
I would have never forgiven myself if I went and made all these really cool toys.........and then killed my chinnies.
I have read quite often that "untreated" pine could be rare and quite expensive in some areas so I wasn't expecting to be able to walk into Lowes and have an entire isle to choose from! My babies are going to have more toys than they can consume!!!!

Wish me luck! Tomorrow Athena and Ransack are going to be reunited for the first time since Athena's miscarriage!!!! Hopefully we'll have some babies in a few months!!!!
~Nellie
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 04:18 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Good luck!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 04:35 PM
Proud New Mommy

good luck!!

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 04:29 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Just some scary info:
To my understanding the green treated wood is treated with arsenec (sp?) scary huh.

Hi Nellie

Team Captain: Mother of 250 chinchillas!
New litters weekly...I must be nuts
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Ewwwww.... Thanks for the info!!! I will steer very clear of the grean stuff!!!

Hey Debbie!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

arsenic and a few other things ... it has to stand up against insect invasion after all ...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Playful Pup

I know this is out of date, but I wanted to make sure that I put this out there:
The current pressure treated wood available at Lowe's and Home Depot is treated with copper these days.
Still not good for your animals though.

Middle School Science Rules!

Gooey, Dooey, and Sue

Louis, Vuitton, and Prada

Tater & Tot

Isis & Osiris

Sammy the Tarantula

Molly, Max, and Mona the hissing roaches

1 African Dwarf Frog

1 fiddler crab

32 gallon tropical fish tank

Came with the live plants unbeknownst to me at the time

And at home....

Belle & Buddy

Sundance
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

When buying pine for the toys just look for kiln dried pine boards used in cabnet projects and 2x4's. They are labeled on the price sign. Pressure treated should never be used for animals. This is usually wood used for outside projects. If you are not sure ask the clerk at the store.

Team Captain: Mother of 250 chinchillas!
New litters weekly...I must be nuts

Tags
dried pine, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, pet store