From hopeful to scared. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

From hopeful to scared.

I was feeding Elvis yesterday morning and went to check out his sutures only to find the whole area swollen to twice the normal size.

I immediately called the vet's office and had them page his doctor. She met me there at 3pm and took him back to sedate him and reopen the area.

Over an hour later, she came to talk to me. Apparently that area was just filled with infection and thick pus. She said she got most of the dead tissue out but she couldn't get it all. It was wrapped around both cords remaining, and creeping up, possibly into his abdomen. She switched his antibiotics, one is an oral, one an injection given every 24 hours.

She soaked a piece of umbelical wrap in antibiotic and sutured it into his scrotum, leaving a small piece out. Hopefully that will help the body fight the infection. I'm to take him to another exotics vet at their other office tomorrow or Wednesday to have it removed and possibly replaced. She's out of town all this week.

I asked her what she thought and she flat-out told me she was scared this time. She said if he recovers, he'll be on an antibiotic for months. His prognosis is VERY guarded at this moment. She took all three of my contact numbers with her to California and promised to keep in touch.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 01:44 PM

Oh Jade, I am so sorry! My thoughts are with you and Elvis.
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thanks Dena. I was up most of the night with him, and then got called into work. He's here with me so I can keep an eye on him.

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 01:55 PM
Fertile Myrtle

I am so sorry Jade. I know you know this but it is imperative that you get some type of acidophilus into his system, even if you have to force him. With all those antibiotics he's more susceptible to getting sick. Poor little guy, I will say a prayer for him.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

There's quite a few different probiotics in the Critical Care, actually. The vet said that should take care of it. Thanks though.

Prayers are much appreciated ... I'm just about drained emotionally, physically as well as financially.

Stephanie

post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 04:55 PM
Salamander Buffalokisser

Jade, I am so sorry my prayers are with you and Elvis.

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 05:21 PM

Sorry to hear about Elvis. I just posted on your other thread. We will continue to pray.

Patti
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 06:02 PM

Jade, Elvis is such a little fighter! I hope he gets better! He is trying so hard!
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 10:40 PM

OMG, Jade I am so sorry to hear this. Elvis is a fighter and with you as his owner I know that he will fight even harder. We will be praying for you both.

post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 11:00 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Jade I am so sorry Elvis has had a set back.Like everyone said he is a fighter and you are good taking care of him.My prayers are with both of you.

post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 10:30 AM
buny2phat

Jade i am so sorry that he got worse just when we though he was getting better. I know that he will pull through this he is a fighter. He'll fight till the end. My thoughts and prayers are with both you and Elvis. Send him lots of hugs and kisses from us and tell him that everything is going to be ok he has got a lot of people praying for him.

post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 12:18 AM

Hang in there Jade! I'm praying for you and Elvis!!!!
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 07:38 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

How is Elvis doing today.I am hoping the new meds are working better for him.

post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 10:51 AM
buny2phat

Jade how are you and Elvis doing today? I hopw that everything is all right and that he is getting better.

post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hi everyone,

Thanks for asking about Elvis. I feel like I'm just kinda whining here and I don't want that to be the case.

I took him to the vet again last night. (There are two offices that are the same practice, North and South.) His doctor is out of town so she sent me to the other office. They sedated him and went back in to see how the infection was doing. They pulled the umbilical tape out and scraped away all of the pus that they could. The doc said it's healing, albeit slowly.

They actually tried an alternative therapy as well. Elvis' doctor called me on Monday evening and asked my thoughts on it. Apparently they've had great success using honey on rabbits that had abcesses when nothing else worked. I asked her if she was comfortable trying this and she said yes -- she didn't believe that it would do any damage, even if it didn't do any good. She consulted with the doctor I took Elvis to last night and he agreed. So they put about 3/4 of a CC of honey into each side and sutured him back up, leaving about 1/2" open as a drain. At this point, I was willing to try anything to get him better.

He's here at work with me now and I'm about to go feed him. I'll keep you all updated on how he's doing.

Thanks for the concern and well wishes.

Stephanie

Tags
guinea pig, regular vet