How do you bond with your Chinchilla? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

How do you bond with your Chinchilla?

My wife and I bought a chinchilla about two weeks ago. It finally got used to its new home and it stopped giving us the "whining chirp"
She's eating healthy and is active from what we've seen. What we want to know though, is how can we bond with her more? She will take food out of our hands and if we open her cage, she'll slowly crawl out and see us, and then run back into the cage. What are some good ways of giving her some entertainment? She sits in her cage all day and theres not enough room really for a wheel or one of those flying saucers. Any toys or activities you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I experienced the same thing with my chin. Once he got comfortable enough to slightly come out of his cage, I offered him a treat. Then I started moving back farther with the treat so that he had to walk to me. That worked really well and now as soon as I open his cage he is ready to jump on me and get a treat. Also, if you have a room that has a closed door, just let him out so he can get comfortable with his surroundings. He'll get scared at first, but just sit in there with him and in time he'll come around and will want to jump on you. I noticed that my chin also loves when I talk to him. They're really reactive to the sound of your voice so make sure its a soft, happy tone. It takes time, but once they trust you, they really are great pets. As for activites and toys, your chin is defintitely going to need time out of the cage. If it won't come out while you're in the room, close the door and then check back every few minutes. Make sure the room is chin-proof though. They get bored quickly so even just talking to your chin will provide some fun. They like pieces of wood to chew on as well. Hope this helps :]
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Adolescent Pup

Chin proof room or play pens are great for play time. I Usally sit in the play pen with them and let them climb all over me. They really like sweat shirts with big pokets to climb into.

Here some pic of my boy in there playpen

some of My boys favorite Toys are

If you need Idea on where to get toys or more toy my guys like pm. I know lots of place to get some really neat toys/ toy parts for them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy