How much do you spend on food? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

How much do you spend on food?

I just bought a 25 lb. bag of Mazuri and two lbs of calf manna for $11.75 and this will last me about 3 months. How about you? What do you pay for your food?

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 12:31 AM

Cool

I just recently switched diets for my chinchillas. The diet they were on would cost me about $30 to $35 every three months and that includes shipping. The diet I switched to is actually more expensive. I bought a 4 lb bag and with shipping, ran me $16. I will continue to use the supplement which will cost me additional money. I am starting to think their diet is more expensive than what I eat on a per month basis.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

What do you feed, Denise?

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 04:37 AM

I spend about $13 for a 25# bag of Mazuri (its a little more expensive because I have to special order it, but it still beats the heck out of shipping), and I think a bag lasts a little more than 2 months. Then I have 2 chins that are on the Kline diet and thiers was about $20 for 8lbs shipped to me. So not counting treats about $33 for a little more than 2 months... not too bad for 10 mouths to feed.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 09:01 AM

I pay $9.99 for a 25 lb bag of Mazuri and $31.95 for a 50 lb box of oxbow timothy hay..
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 01:39 PM
Princess in Waiting

I think I have the wrong kind of pets. . . .

I pay ~$30 for a bag of bird food that lasts about 6 weeks and that is only fed to one of my birds. The other eats a mixture of pellets and seed that I have shipped in. It's about $1 a pound and I usually buy 25#'s of each, but it does last a while. A bag of peanuts (unsalted, please) is about $3.50 but that is strictly a treat and so they last a long time.

I will only feed CNM/UR cat food to my one remaining cat. I used to pay $30-something for a 20# bag, but with only one cat will not be buying in that size any more.

The dogs are on a lamb-based diet food (I've even switched Sasha over to it now) laced with a "dollop" of canned food. I think the canned food is $28 a case, which lasts a long time. Bubba has been buying the dog food, so I don't have a clue as to how much it is.

As the rest of you say, my animals eat a more healthy, more balanced diet than we do. All my friends have said that when they die they want to come back as one of my pets!

Dena, where do you get those green toothbrush looking treats you sent me? I've found them at my groomers, but no where else. I'm thinking of asking her to order a box of them for me - my dogs loved them!

Can I add to my food budget that the dogs are groomed every 6-8 weeks at a cost of about $70?

Ooh, looking at all this, I think I need to go to work!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 09:59 PM

i am not sure! sassy buys my food for me!:hershey:
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 11:37 PM

I buy a 25# bag of Mazuri for $10 and I get a bale of Timothy hay for $17 or Alfalfa for $14 (65-80lb bales). The hay will last about 3 months and I go through about 1-2 bags of pellets per month. Not counting treats of course.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Wow! Where do you get your hay???

Stephanie

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 11:49 PM

Smile

Jade,

I feed my chins American Pet Diner alfalfa pellets, Nutritional Research supplement (also sold by Carole Kessler and Ann Ingram), Nutritional Research hay cubes and American Pet Diner Timothy hay.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 03:43 AM
Princess in Waiting

Lila, you sound as spoiled rotten as my daughter - not that there is anything wrong with that!! I'm thinking of giving the ShihTzu puppy to her (I just don't play like I used to!) but am worried about putting the extra expense of grooming every couple of months on her. Because she's a lot like me; she ain't gonna spend a whole lot of time brushing a dog! (As if Sasha would tolerate it!)

I still think I have everyone beat on total cost.

Critter

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 04:19 AM
Akasha

I spend around $7 a week on fruit/veggies about $5 a week on mealworms/crickets for my gliders and tarantula and say $3 on bottled water for my gliders cause the water around here is full of chlorine. and about $10 for the stuff to make bml once a month for my gliders. so about $60ish but some months are cheaper than others.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 09:27 AM

My chins also get a 7 grain supplement from Nutritional Research and they love it.

Jade... I buy my hay at a feed store. They special order it for me in full size bales. Then they make sure it is not moldy before they call me to come get it.

Tags
canned food, cat food, dog food, hay cubes, timothy hay