How much to feed? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

How much to feed?

Being I work at the Zoo, I have become used to logging everything we feed, or behaviors we notice in our animals. I am starting to do this with my pets as well, which will help if they get sick to see if anything changed in behavior/feeding.
I was wondering how much pellets to feed two adult chinchillas? I read about 2 tbsp for one adult, is that about right?

I dont just want to dump some in, I want to know how much I am actually putting in there and what they are eating from it. (they eat it ALL at the moment, those piggies) =)

Thanks!
Nikki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

We say abouy 30 grams pr. chinchilla over here...

But if you feed them once a day, then there should only be a couple og pellets left, the next time you feed.
If there's no pellets left, you need to put in some more, and the other way around if there are to many left

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 01:48 PM

2 tbsp per chin is about right, but if they eat more, then give it to them. chins will not over-eat. try giving them some timothy hay as well, if you're not already. just make sure it's fresh and not moldy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycchinguy
2 tbsp per chin is about right, but if they eat more, then give it to them. chins will not over-eat. try giving them some timothy hay as well, if you're not already. just make sure it's fresh and not moldy.
Is it sertain that chins do not over-eat?
I've only seen chins who overeat treats But sometimes people talk about their chinnies over-eating. So is it possible that some chinchillas do tend to over-eat?

Just curious

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I think Kassy over-eats (shes my greeeedy chin). She will eat all day! haha. I have a feeder that fills up and will refill itself when empty, and it will be gone like that! So, I dont use it like that anymore. I do feed them timothy hay, just not all the time.
I will try 2 tbsp and see if they eat it all. Its just hard to know whos eating what with two! lol.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Proud New Mommy

Try to offer a good pelleted food (what brand are you feeding?) and fresh hay at all times. I've never had one of my chins over eat, though some of them do spend WAYYY more time at the food bowl than others, all of their weight was constant. We even rescued, at one point, about 20 chinchillas. Some were underweight (because of constant breedback) and some were overweight (because the size of their cages were not nearly the size they needed). All of the chins that were overweight lost and all that were underwight gained. I always kept fresh timothy hay, alfalfa hay (or cubes), and pellets in their cages.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 08:33 AM

Chins will not overeat. They should have unlimitted access to a quality pellet and a quality hay at all times. And, hay cubes are a great occassional feed to throw in as well (or constant) to give them something else to chew on. 2 tbs isn't much at all for chins really. I have few chins who only eat that much. I used to have one chin that alone, would eat between 1/2 cup to 1 cup of feed a day. And he was a male that never went into breeding because he stayed smaller. I also do what the other poster said, and make sure that if feeding once a day, the following day there should be a bit of pellets and hay left. If they are running out totally at some point you need to up the quantities fed.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I have been feeding 4tbsp of pellets to my chins the past few days, and there is always a little bit left, and on the floor. So, as long as it stays that way, I will keep feeding them 4. I have never seen hay cubes in Ak, but I will look.

-Is alfalfa good to feed them a lot? Isnt it not as healthy..

I feed them timothy occasionally. And they get it every time they are out of the cage.
-Thanks for the help everyone!

--also I am feeding them Premium L'Avian Plus Chinchilla Food. There isnt really much to choose from in Alaska.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 08:52 PM

L Avian is definitely not one of the better feeds, do you have any feed stores (often livestock feed stores) that carry Purina products? Mazuri is made by Purina and would be alot better for your chins. www.americanpetdiner.com has what I think is one of the best feeds, but you'll have to pay shipping (which isn't bad unless you have as many chins as I do lol) . Generally, if on an alfalfa based pellet they should have timothy hay, and vice versa. But also, non breeding adult animals should not have too much alfalfa. Breeders and kits can have more alfalfa.. but should have some timothy as well. Mazuri, by the way, is alfalfa based so you definitely don't want them to have too much alfalfa hay when feeding that in particular. They should have hay all the time though. It's roughage for them which is very important with their sensitive gastrointestinal systems, and it keeps their teeth in shape which can prevent future problems.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

good to know! there is a place called alaska mill & feed, where the zoo buys its grain and hay for the zoo animals. I will go there and see if they carry any chinchilla food. I know they carry mazuri feed for our moose & deer..
It will probably be in a huge bag, but its worth it! Thanks so much!!
Ive been feeding them this for at least 3 years!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 12:18 AM

If they deal with Mazuri for other stuff, they can get it, my store did..but of course it's in 25lb bags but I only pay 10.50 for it. So much healthier and cheapr.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

hey, bigger bag, the less I have to run to the store to get more! haha. Im all for bulk products =)
Hopefully they will have something, if not, they will order it, they are pretty good at that kinda stuff.
Thanks again for the help guys! My chinnies thank you too, cause every time I go to Ak Mill & Feed they get tons of new toys haha.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Proud New Mommy

Make sure when you switch them over to do it slowly. Their GI track is very sensitive!!

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Most definitely!!

Tags
alfalfa hay, food bowl, hay cubes, timothy hay