I Could Really Use Some Help... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Exclamation I Could Really Use Some Help...

Howdy All...
I'm new here... I need to ask some advice. I currently have 6 chinchillas. All are rescues and I got all around the same time.
It's a long story as to how I ended up with the wonderful chillas I have but i'll try to make it short.
In short, I raise Australian Shepherds - A girl I knew was wanting to breed and show aussies and I told her I could help her out with this. That I was fixing to breed a litter. I found that she raised and showed chinchillas, And that was something that I had been wanting to get in to for a long time (several years now), I was willing (since I was becoming friends with her) to work a trade deal with her, i'd trade one of my puppies and my help getting her started in the aussie world for a mosaic male chinchilla, and 2 standard grey female chinchilla babies. And her helping me get started in the chin world. The long and short of it...This person SOLD my animals (the ones that I had picked out) with out even telling me. Needless to day I was less then amused. I went else where to get chinchillas, I started out getting a standard grey female out of the paper, they told me she had a "huge cage" - This was not the case... Because my plan was to get her, and I had already got in touch with a breeder and set in motion buying a trio from her. So I was going to buy sprocket and with this "huge cage" I wouldn't need to get another cage. This wasn't the case and I had to get another cage any way. Well in all this I met a lady who had 3 chinchillas whom she had find homes for immidatly - her father had become very ill and she had to move in him with her, and the only room she had was the chinchilla room. So I agreed to take her 3. I picked up her 3 (since they were in the next state) and my first 2 from the breeder in the same day. The 3 I got from the lady, are fine, they're in excellent shape. The two I got from the breeder....that's another story. I was shocked when we got to the breeders house. The outside building she has her chinchillas in at least is air contidioned. The ammonia hits you when you walk in so badly it will just about knock you down. She doesn't care about the chinchillas as pets, to her they're a money making venture. My male I got from her is a brown velvet, it looks like someone shot his ears full of buck shot, his feet are deformed, and he had a very Large scab on his lip when we got there, When I mentioned it, she took him and yanked it off, saying oh it was just a peice of food...SHE RIPPED HIS BOTTOM LIP NEARLY CLEAN OFF! I've cleaned his lip up and medicated it, and his lip has healed, but it's not right...not if she had left the darn thing alone.
The female I got from her looks just fine. But here's the thing, She sits with her head cocked, and not to just one side, some times she'll sit with it cocked to one side, some times it's cocked to the other, but normally she has it cocked to the right. I've checked her ears for mites, for them being dirty...anything I can think of, her ears looks great. i've even wiped them out with cotton. But i've now noticed they all do it off and on. Could this be the condition "head tilt" i've only ever heard of it in rabbits. And if it is, What can I do? Is it curable? do I have to worry about my other aniamls? I've tried looking it up in books, and online, and i've not found much on possible chinchilla ear problems, and nothing on chinchillas holding their head cocked. If any one has any ideas, or thoughts on this... I could really use the help. I'm still trying to find a descent vet in my area...no one wants to treat "exotics" The only vet i've found, I don't like. We have other exotics and have had more then one bad experince with them. So I don't trust taking my chillas there. I'll hush now, Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thank you in advance!
-- Heather and the crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 02:14 AM
Adolescent Pup

Thats terrible!! That horrible woman should not have pets after what she did to your poor little chin. I too just got a rescue chin from a bad owner, the chin i got from her is missing half the fur from her rear end . I think it is so sad that these wonderful animals are treated so badly by ignorant people. I wish that i could save every chin in the world that lives in a bad home...

Anyways sorry to go on like that i know that wasnt the topic. Unfortunatly im new to chinchilla keeping myself so i cant help you out with your problem, but there are so many knowledgable chin keepers on paw talk im sure they will help you out with it. Ive only heard of head tilt in rabbits, im hoping that it isnt comething that chins can get. Hopefully it isnt anything serious, after what these chins have been through it would be a shame for them to be sick when they finally get a loving owner....

I just thought of something, its probably totally irrelevent but i'll try anyways. Were the chins kept in really tiny cages? I noticed that a guinea pig at the local SPCA tilted his head and i was told that it was because his previous owner kept him in a hamster cage and he had to tilt his head to fit.

Lois Isabel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 11:01 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirlsblues
The female I got from her looks just fine. But here's the thing, She sits with her head cocked, and not to just one side, some times she'll sit with it cocked to one side, some times it's cocked to the other, but normally she has it cocked to the right. I've checked her ears for mites, for them being dirty...anything I can think of, her ears looks great. i've even wiped them out with cotton. But i've now noticed they all do it off and on. Could this be the condition "head tilt" i've only ever heard of it in rabbits. And if it is, What can I do? Is it curable? do I have to worry about my other aniamls? I've tried looking it up in books, and online, and i've not found much on possible chinchilla ear problems, and nothing on chinchillas holding their head cocked. If any one has any ideas, or thoughts on this... I could really use the help. I'm still trying to find a descent vet in my area...no one wants to treat "exotics" The only vet i've found, I don't like. We have other exotics and have had more then one bad experince with them. So I don't trust taking my chillas there. I'll hush now, Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thank you in advance!
-- Heather and the crew
Hi Heather, I would suggest taking your girl in to a vet right away. Be persistant in your search for a vet who treats chins, because it could be an inner ear infection that needs to be treated with antibiotcs. The longer it goes untreated, the more damage is done to the ear and the head tilt could become a long-term problem.

Chins do occasionally lean their head to one side when they are thinking or relaxing, but if it looks at all abnormal to you compared to your other chinchillas, then it needs to be looked at.

Tags
australian shepherd, brown velvet, ear infection, guinea pig, hamster cage, inner ear infection, standard grey