i need advice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

i need advice

ok so now i am very sure my female is pregent and im not having alot of luck finding information to make her more comfortable n make the cage safe for baby so id really like some advice. im porbably going to get my male fixed once murry has the babie(s) and my uncle gave me a cage to keep him in so he cant knock her up again >.< unless its ok to leave him in the cage with her i really dont know i keep reading things that will say one thing and something else will say another. id really like some help with this please! thank you very much!

!!My Pets!!
Chinchillas: Murry and Loki
Cat: Kessie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

What is it exactly you want to know?

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

just basic stuff like am i not supposed to touch the babies untill after its a few days old, what should i do for murry when she goes into labor like but a towel on the bottom of the cage for her or something. just stuff in general. i know plenty about when hamsters give birth and so on but almost nothing about chinchillas and the breeder i got my male from changed her number -.- so i cant ask her for advice like she said i could

!!My Pets!!
Chinchillas: Murry and Loki
Cat: Kessie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 07:39 AM

You really should have researched this before you began breeding...
Oh well.

There's a good chance you do not have to do anything at all. Normally mom will take care of everything, and most likely while you are asleep.
She'll jump around when she has contractions. It looks a bit weird. She stands on her hind legs, jumps a bit, then she will look down between her legs, and jump again. You can actually see her pressing while doing her small jumps.
When the kit comes out she will eat the placenta before she washes up the kit.

If the kits come out the wrong way around, you may have to help her. The risk of this happening is very small. But then you have to pull the kits tail. There's a good chance the tail will break off, and the kit may not survive.

Depending on how good a relationship you have with mom, you can start handling the kit/kits from the moment they are born. Only a couple of minutes at the time though.

The first thing you should do when you have a dry kit is to weigh it, and keep doing this every day, for the first couple of weeks.
It's normal for the weight to stay the same, or drop a couple of grams the first couple of days. Around day 3 you should see a weight gain (1-2 grams), but if not, you need to help out, and give the kit some food. 0,1-0,2 ml a meal should do it.
As far as I know, the best thing to use is kitten milk.

The kit will be moving around a lot and be very good at jumping from day 1, so you need to be careful when holding the little one

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Adolescent Pup

if you dont want a breedback, then you need to remove the male from the cage. you dont need to remove him until she has the kits. most chinchilla males make great dads, but it isnt healthy for mom if a breedback occurs.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 09:25 PM

Actually, you really need to remove the dad a day or two before the kits are born, if you do not want a breedback.

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
Actually, you really need to remove the dad a day or two before the kits are born, if you do not want a breedback.
im just curious, cause ive always removed my male when i went in and saw she had the kits. and this is what my veterinarian told me i should do. so why do you advise that he be removed before they are born, and how do you know her exact due date? ive never found a mucous plug with my female, i just keep track of her weight and thats how i know she is pregnant.

im just curious, and i know everyone has their own opinion on everything when it comes to chinchillas.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 07:51 AM

Normally I know when they have mated, and I just count the days. I am also able to see when there's about a month left, and if I'm not sure about the exact date, I just remove the male when the female starts to show all the signs of her getting near the end.
I can't tell you how I can see these things. I just know my females, and know how they act when pregnant. It's different for every female
Also the male has a tendency to act in a specific way when there's about a month left, and this just keep getting more and more noticeable.
To be honest, I seldom weigh my animals... I can see what's going on...

But the male can try to breed the female even while she's in labor (I've seen this), and if he's really eager, he and the female might jump around a lot, and hurt the kits.
So I remove him a couple of days before the due date, and then put him back in 3-5 days after...

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Adolescent Pup

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
Normally I know when they have mated, and I just count the days. I am also able to see when there's about a month left, and if I'm not sure about the exact date, I just remove the male when the female starts to show all the signs of her getting near the end.
I can't tell you how I can see these things. I just know my females, and know how they act when pregnant. It's different for every female
Also the male has a tendency to act in a specific way when there's about a month left, and this just keep getting more and more noticeable.
To be honest, I seldom weigh my animals... I can see what's going on...

But the male can try to breed the female even while she's in labor (I've seen this), and if he's really eager, he and the female might jump around a lot, and hurt the kits.
So I remove him a couple of days before the due date, and then put him back in 3-5 days after...

ok. thats cool. i see your pov. like you said every female is different. thanks for responding!!

Tags
advice, chinchilla, pregnent