I need advice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy I need advice

I am new here as i am a proud new parent of my first chin =) I got him off a lady who did not want him anymore its clear to me that she didnt take good care of him its now monday and i got him last friday so 4 days every time i go to get him out he kinda "barks" at me for lack of a better discription what is caused by should i be concerned and how can i help disembark this behavior in my new baby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Adolescent Pup

some chins are just not cuddley. it may take a lot of time for him to get used to u and the new smells of ur house. make sure u are interacting with him in the evening when he has a free run time. they are nocturnal and can be grumpy if they are tired. they do 'bark' even at night time when ur sleeping. the chinchilla forum here is a great place to get info if ur a first time chin owner. have u thought about getting another? if so dont assume theyll get along. we fostered 2 chins and they had to be kept in separate areas of the room in separate cages (2 females) cause they just wanted to 'attack ' eachother. some chins get along fine with others. hope this helps and good luck with ur new guy. they are beautiful animals

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Kansas City Chinchillas

He is letting you know he is frightened by you. You need to establish trust with him. It takes a while to establish trust with a chin. Sit by his cage and talk to him or read to him.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:33 PM
chinchilla breeder

If you go slowly he will come around. Try sitting by the cage and not touching him...then after he gets used to that stick your hand in the cage and just let it sit there this may take a few days until he comes and checks it out. then let him explore you without trying to touch him. Keep going with this slowly

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Newborn Pup

agreed!! my one chin buttons (name changed form goldie) she was the same way would bark at me evertime i went near her. but dont' stop putting your hand in the cage casue if she barks at you and you take your hand out then he will thinkt ahtif he barks at you you will leave him alone. but don't stop if in the event that se's still doing it then stop and wait a day or two then go back and try again. he will eventually come around. also if hestarts biting get gloves with thick rubber on them and get him out that way. till he get used to you . but interact withhim every night so he gets used to talk to him in claming voice and she will come around ... and some chins don't wanna be cuddled or sumuthered . also my buttons lets every now and again pet her when she wants .. so he will come around.. congrats on the new boy good luck !!!

Children & Animals are gifts from god.
To be cherished here on earth for as long as
as we are here !!!

Tags
chinchilla