I need some advice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I need some advice

Hello everyone,
I have had my two chin's together in the same cage (both are girls and about 2 months apart) for about 3 months now and everything was fine for the first couple of months, but now behavior is changing. I did the whole cage innitation when I got my second chin and they got along great! Last week my younger chin fought with my older chin and fur went FLYING although no physical harm was done. I separated them for a little while and put them back together and for the next week they cuddled on the perch like they always do, then just today they fought again (its been about 2 week sence the last fight) and again fur went flying. I separated them again. Why did they get along fine then and not now? I haven't changed anything about their eating or playtime and spend time with BOTH. Now I don't know what to do, should I have 2 separate cages for them? Do I need to give one up? My fear is that one day when Im gone I going to come home and find a sevearly injured chinchilla or worse.
Also, my older chinchilla has been very grouchy towards me lately, is it because of the fight? She stands up on her hind legs (theathening to spray) and barks at me. She never comes up to my hand anymore either. Is this because of the other chinchilla? What should I do? Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I would seperate them. It appears that it's being stressful for your chin. I know when I put my male and female together, they would "argue" but I watched to make sure they weren't severly fighting and that there was no blood. Don't chins something shed hair when they feel threatened? I could be mistaking this for another species that does that.

*Missy*
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 12:44 AM
Tiny Grosskisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205
Don't chins something shed hair when they feel threatened? I could be mistaking this for another species that does that.
Chinchillas do this in the wild as a defense mechanism. They will slip fur to get away from their predator.

Karen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 01:02 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I guess I did remember right then...lol

*Missy*
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 02:49 AM
Newborn Pup

Hey Chinchilla Gal,

The same thing happened to me. I have 2 males together. Right now I have them seperated...

and I have no idea why they started fighting. I think it's b/c they both liked the same wheel in the cage (although they have 2 other ones!)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

thanks for your imput everyone! right now they are separated, but I have to get a bigger cage for the second one if Im going to keep them separated. Any ideas about my non-social chin? Is she acting this way because of the fight?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 07:59 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

She may be, I'm sure she'll warm up to you soon

*Missy*
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 11:09 PM
Adolescent Pup

This may be of no help at all, but i thought i would share my experience as it is similar.
When i first introduced my older female chin to my younger female they were hot and cold just like yours. It seemed almost as though the older of the two had no patience for the younger chinchillas bouncing around and constantly grooming the elder. I seperated them until the younger female reached maturity and they got along great when i reintroduced them. I dont know if that helps you at all, i tend to think too much about what my animals are thinking, who knows maybe they just didnt like how one another smelled at first lol.

Good luck !!

Lois Isabel

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Part of the Pack

My female chinnie doesn't like other chinnies either. When we got her she was in a petshop for 4 months by herself so we think that is the reason she prefers to be alone. We tried to get her friends but she just attacked them every chance she got.

She's doing great by herself though, she gets lots and lots of attention from me and my hubby. She treats us just like another chinchilla, she lets us pet her and she even grooms our hands after we pet her Sometimes when she wants out to play she even makes her little chinnie noise to get our attention and gives us puppy eyes until she gets her way She's our spioled little girl!

Good luck with your girls, i think Phawn had great advice, you should try that

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

Chilla, our female

Twin boys, Cadbury and Punkin
Casper.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

thanks for all the tips! I feel a little better knowing that I'm not the only one who has faced this problem. Phawn you said to put them back together when she's faced maturity...what do you mean by that? The younger one (Hayley) is 6 months old, the older one (Angel) is 10 months. They are four months apart not two as I orginally said (I forgot that Angel was 8 weeks when I bought her from the pet store). I also started from square one with Angel. I have been introducing my hand to her, complete with treat, to get her to come to me again. She hesitates, but eventually takes it. Is this the right thing to do with her at this point? Also, should I spend more time with her than with Hayley so she warms up to me again? Or will this cause jellously with Hayley? Maybe Im over analyzing this, but your imput has been very helpful.

Tags
hind legs, males together, pet store, separate cages