I need suggestions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Unhappy I need suggestions

I posted this on another forum as well, and didn't want to retype it.

My chinchilla Monkey has pretty much stopped eating his hay. He's gone in for dental work due to this, because his teeth are not getting worn down properly.

I have tried many different types of hay. Oxbow, Alfalfa King, L/M (which he used to eat like crazy, and I know it's crap hay, but it was better than him not eating it!), APD and Kleenmama's. He won't touch any of it! It worries me because he NEEDS this in his diet. I've even tried switching him to timothy pellets and alfalfa hay, and he still won't eat it! I'm at a loss for what to do.

If anyone has ANY suggestions on other types of hay to try, by all means I'll take them! He's gotten so darn picky about everything!

Thanks!

Karen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 10:29 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

wow i really wish i could help u. It seems like u tried everything.

I don't know anything about chinchillas. Hope someone can help u

Good luck
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeggieQC
wow i really wish i could help u. It seems like u tried everything.

I don't know anything about chinchillas. Hope someone can help u

Good luck
Thanks!

Karen

[

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Maybe Kaytee? I don't have chinchillas but I've never met an animal that wouldn't eat that brand.

Good luck!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

I totally forgot about the Kaytee brand. I'll have to find some! Thanks Sasami!

Karen

[

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 02:22 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Try some hay cubes?

Stephanie

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

I forgot to put that on here, too. I have actually tried hay cubes and it's another thing he won't touch.

I'm still going to order some from APD, as none of the chinnies liked the Oxbow hay cubes.

Karen

[

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Adolescent Pup

What other kinds of food is in the cage? Maybe he will succumb to the hay if there is nothing else. I'm not sure what alternatives there are other than enriched pellets.

NaTaLiE

Setsuki (std) Coolio (bv) Butters (pw) & Diamond (sap) the chinchillas
Mortimer the cat
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

If he won't eat any hay at all maybe you could feed timothy hay pellets? I saw them on Bunny-Bytes a while back. The url is http://www.bunnybytes.com and they're in the feed and hay section on the third or fourth page, I think.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylilac
What other kinds of food is in the cage? Maybe he will succumb to the hay if there is nothing else. I'm not sure what alternatives there are other than enriched pellets.
I have all of my chins on Oxbow alfalfa pellets and Oxbow timothy hay.

Sasami, I am actually going to order some timmy pellets from APD, but thanks for the link!!

Karen

[

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 02:53 AM
Part of the Pack

Hey girly, it's been awhile since I posted here - but don't forget that timmy pellets cannot completely replace timothy hay. They need the roughage of hay to wear down their back teeth. I am thinking there is another reason he's not eating (maybe pain or discomfort) rather than your choice of hay. Has he been x-rayed for gas or bloating, bladder stones, anything like that? If eating causes discomfort for any reason he may have an aversion to it.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Kim, I'll have to check into having him x-rayed for those reasons. They did an x-ray on his teeth not that long ago and things were good. I'll have to get in touch with them and find out what they can do! Thanks for the suggestion!

Karen

[

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Update of sorts

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am going to be taking Monkey in soon to have an x-ray done. He is still not touching his hay and I want to see if it's something internally that is causing him to not have that appetite for hay.

I'll keep everyone posted on the results! Please pray for him that there is nothing seriously wrong!

Karen

[

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 04:55 PM
Part of the Pack

Sorry to hear that Peanut isn't doing well I hope everything goes well at the vets and it's nothing serious. Get well soon Peanut!

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

Chilla, our female

Twin boys, Cadbury and Punkin
Casper.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Errm, I think you meant to post in indychinchick's thread.

Karen

[

Tags
alfalfa hay, hay cubes, timothy hay