I really need health advice... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 11:18 AM
KatPaws74

I really need health advice...

I know that your first thought is that I should take my Chin to the Vet - that was my first thought too but Vets here really don't know much about Chins. There are only two Chin farms in my country that are breeding Chins for fur and I never even heard that anyone keeps them as pets so I believe Vets don't even have much cases to learn...

Anyway, here is the problem. I noticed about a week ago that my male Chin is behaving weridly...all of a sudden he would start to jump arround the cage like crazy...than he would stop and started to clean his "peepee". Yesterday I noticed that he is very unhappy...he is eating porely and he just sits in the corner of the cage in some bent possition. He also had on a couple occasions some shivering in his back legs and his whole body...and he can't jump around the cage as he used to. He does not have a diarhea and the female Chin that is in the cage with him seams okay...I honestly thought that he won't even make it through the night but today he looks just a little bit better. I am really worried sick. Did anyone experianced anything similar with their Chin? I could really use any advice I can get

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 11:39 AM
Fertile Myrtle

It sounds like he's having seizures. I would move him to a one level cage so that if it happens again he can't fall and hurt himself. If he's not eating you're going to have to feed him. Mush up some pellets and mix with a bit of yogurt and see if he'll take it.

I know Sassy and a few others will have good suggestions too. I hope he gets better!

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 11:57 AM

Check to see if he has a HAIR RING. It sounds like the little guy is either having seizures or he has a hair ring, if he is constantly cleaning his PeePee this very well be the situation. If it is a hair ring, his penis will be red and protuding, you will have to remove the hair ring to help him. Let us know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 01:03 PM
KatPaws74

Christy and Sassy, thanks for your advices. I tried to check on the hair ring but he is just too wild and I can't seam to catch him in the cage (and it is a big cage too with four levels). Unfortunately he is not a tame Chin. Ever since I bought him in Octpober last year I never once hold him in my hands. The female is tame but he is not...that is why I think I will have a little trouble to check on him...ummm...I will ask my mom to help me out. I am also scared, what if he did had some seizures, and I try to catch him...and I scare him to dearth? HUH ! He is looking better now...he is jumping okay but he is still a little unhappy. I put them new hay in the cage and he came to eat. I really hope he'll be okay.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 06:29 PM
KatPaws74

I just wanted to add that today I cought him ina cage...my mom holded him while I examined his peepee It seams okay. No hair ring...the color is nice - pink...but he still looks miserable and sad. Sigh

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 07:04 PM

Is he having normal droppings? Is he still eating and drinking? Can you seperate him from your other chin/s? I would also recommend to cage him by himself. He may be getting beat up.
I recommend a visit to the vet.

Tags
level cage