I waited the 10 days before i put dad back in....... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I waited the 10 days before i put dad back in.......

after sadie had the babies on mothers day. well i weigh my chins every thursday, and she has gained 30 grams in a week. she usually gains about 5-10, so this is way above normal. i give her the oat supplement to help with her weight, as she is still nursing. im kind of concerned that she might have been bred already.. and if so, would that be considered a breedback??
and advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

It's highly unlikley for her to be pregnant again... But I'm not quite sure why you are breeding when you do not know the basics?

And yes, it would be considered a breedback. Some say a breedback is if she gets pregnant right after the birth, and some say it's a breedback even ½ a year after she's had a litter...

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

why do you feel the need to tell me constantly that i dont know the basics??? i was simply inquiring to get other peoples input on the situation, you dont have to be rude. i do know the "basics" and from what i can tell, that varies greatly depending on where you are from. everyone has their own opinion of what a breedback is, i was just curious what others had to say on the issue.
just so that im clear on what exactly you mean, why do you say i dont know the basics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 10:08 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Constantly?
I do not remember saying anything to you before..

And I say what I do, because you think it's still possible for a female to get pregnant 10 days after she has given birth.
It's only possible for them to get pregnant 3-5 days when they are in heat. This is so basic and you REALLY need to know this.

But I don't get why you get so offended, you do not even see what I'm writing.

IMO you should just not breed yet. I also saw you take the kits away from mom when they are 6 weeks old. That's not the best thing in the world.
Normally you would wait until they are 8 weeks old. This is not just some random statement.
I have about 15 books that backs this statement + a lot of talking to other people who all do this.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

yes you have. you've replied to a couple of my other posts, and said the same thing. im not offended, i just dont care for people telling me what i should and should not be doing with my chinchillas. and thank you for your answer btw. i have been looking for this information about breedbacks and whatnot. and although i have read quite a bit of literature, i have not read anything that says how long they are "in heat" after giving birth. i have always taken my male out for 7-10 days, and never had a problem. i was just concerned cause she gained 30grams.
as far as seperating the kits at 6 weeks, thats my choice, and im not the only breeder who does this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 12:58 AM
Rodentologist

When you're playing with animals lives and yet still aren't sure of the basics, most people are going to think it's a bad idea. "Reading a whole bunch" is not a substitution for learning from experienced individuals.

If you have multiple posts that people are saying "Hey, you're not doing things right and you have no idea what you're doing" maybe you should consider some of their advice.

In the past, you're demonstrated a basic misunderstanding of genetics, claimed your chinchillas were "genetically tested", were breeding from lines with unknown backgrounds, and now the removal of kits coupled with not knowing how soon your chinchillas can get pregnant is pretty disturbing.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

appearantly there was a fluke in my scale anyways. i weighed her yesterday, and shes 608, which is what she was the week before the scale showed she jumped 30 grams.

thanks anyways.