I'd love some opinions..... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

Question I'd love some opinions.....

Hi Everyone

I know next to nothing about chinchilla's (except that they are adorable ) but am quite interested in these little furballs. I've been reading up on them and am curious to see what everyone here thinks about 'breeding runs?' I was under the impression (from researching) for 'pet owners' (people who aren't just 'breeders') that most don't use them (or agree with them). But I see that some of you do use them. What are the pros/cons to breeding runs & how do you all feel about them???

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Well first, do you plan to breed?

I am okay with runs but the size is my personal concern. My chins are my pets, not my business. I like them to lead happy, full, interesting lives. Chins like to run, jump, and play and I don't feel that a run allows them to do so.

If a chinchilla is raised in a run setting, I feel that it's fine to keep them in that environment, provided they have toys, etc. to keep them occupied. If they don't know about it they won't miss it; that's the attitude I have. They save a ton of space and are more financially economical for a breeder. They allow one male to 'visit' many females, creating more babies to sell.

So, I guess I have mixed feelings.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 09:20 PM

I wont use breeding runs, yes I breed most of my chinchillas but they are my pets and I want them to have room to run around and play as they want not be cooped up in a little box with a "man" visiting as he wants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 09:45 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I feel like Sassy I don't like the runs and would never have them.I like my pets to have plenty of room.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

When I worked with a smaller number of animals I didn't use runs but since I have so many the runs have worked out great for me. Just because you use runs doesn't mean you have to have limited space. I had cages 24x30 with connectors and runs for the male in them and these were great and spacious. It is true that some females do not like the collars and should not be placed in a run set up. I actually have more paired than collared.

Team Captain: Mother of 250 chinchillas!
New litters weekly...I must be nuts
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

See, that's the idea I had (same feeling that Sassy pointed out)... That most 'pet owners' didn't like the idea of the space being so 'small' and that they are tied up... But I'm glad you all are giving me your opinions and reasons, I appreciate it

Keep it coming

Tags
pet owner