IM GETTING A CHIN!!! and i need some advice. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

IM GETTING A CHIN!!! and i need some advice.

Hi, Im new to raising Chins and i would like to know as much as possiable before i invest in the cute little babie. I went to the pet store today hoping to get a hamster or two maybe even another hairless rattie, but then i saw a chinchillia, sure i had seen them before but i had never petted one. The employee there took the little babie out of his cage and let me pet him and hold him. I wanted him he was adorable he gave me a kiss and i instanlty wanted him, but hes 90 dollars, and i didnt have the money nor the experience to get him,but my mom said that if i did the research that she would buy him and the assesories that go with the little baby. Im experinced in raising and breeding rodents but a chinchilla i have no idea about so any information that you have will be greatly appreciated. I want to make sure i know as much as i can to ensure that he will be happy and healthy.

My Zoo!

2 Dogs- Pepper The loving Lab (rescued)
- Princess the mixed up mutt. (Rescued
)
1 Rat- Wrinkles the sound senior (pet Shop)-
5 Chickens- Red (rhode island red)Scrappy (Barred Rock)
Flutterbugs (americano)
Spooks (Rosecomb Chicken)
Honey (Old English)

2 cats - Whiskers The Wild Tabby-(baby rescued)
Tabby the ticking Tabby (kitten rescued)

2 Fish- Oscar the over grown Oscar- Kirby the kicking percostimas
( ALL ARE PET SHOP RESCUES)

R.I.P -Velvet the romping Russian Blue (Stray Rescue) We had to have her euthanized 1/27/09
We miss you dearly Miss.Velvetine.:
angel:[/COLOR]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 06:30 PM

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 01:05 AM

don't get from a petstore!!!! every animal i bought from one has died due to birth defects, go through a breeder, they are often cheaper at breeders anyways.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Playful Pup

I would consider getting your chinchilla from a good breeder or rescue. Don't forget that the chinchilla will need vet care like any other animal. Also chinchillas a pretty social so you might consider getting a same sex pair instead of just one. Here are some great places to read up on chinchilla care:

http://www.chinformation.org/forum/
http://www.chincare.com/
http://www.chins-n-quills.com/forums/index.php?
http://www.cheekychinchillas.com/
http://www.petinfopackets.com/chinch...nfopacket.html

Visit my pet care website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Guarded by Waffles

I wouldn't buy from a pet store either. I haven't had a bad experience with one but I know that I would never do it again knowing what I know now. Mainly that they come from mills that don't care about the health and wellbeing of their animals.

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

thank you all very much...but i asure you all the pet store i go to ive gotten all of my rodents from, and all of them have lived long happy lives, an im not sure where to find a breeder at around me...and i thank you all for your advice..thanks so much!

My Zoo!

2 Dogs- Pepper The loving Lab (rescued)
- Princess the mixed up mutt. (Rescued
)
1 Rat- Wrinkles the sound senior (pet Shop)-
5 Chickens- Red (rhode island red)Scrappy (Barred Rock)
Flutterbugs (americano)
Spooks (Rosecomb Chicken)
Honey (Old English)

2 cats - Whiskers The Wild Tabby-(baby rescued)
Tabby the ticking Tabby (kitten rescued)

2 Fish- Oscar the over grown Oscar- Kirby the kicking percostimas
( ALL ARE PET SHOP RESCUES)

R.I.P -Velvet the romping Russian Blue (Stray Rescue) We had to have her euthanized 1/27/09
We miss you dearly Miss.Velvetine.:
angel:[/COLOR]

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Part of the Pack

Ive gotten all my animals from the pet stores also. my two chins are completely healthy and very happy, as well as my hammie. i agree some animals come from horrible situations in pet stores but as long as the animal is healthy why not give it a home!?

anyways hope you get him soon! and have fun! they are amazing pets!
just done give in to their ADORABLE begging behaviors, cause they will try everything
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

I've got 1 from a pet store, and 1 from a breeder, who got him from a pet store. My first chinnie's mom was from a pet store, so we don't know who the dad is.

Well, my first chinnie (still alive) is SO SWEET, and he's mom was adorable too
My girl whom I got from a pet store, had just been handed over by a family. She had kids, and now I they got seperated too early. It breaks my hart to think I did that too her (the pet store didn't tell me about the baby's age. But I don't think they were 8 weeks). She had a broken tail, and we spend 2 years getting her tame.
The boy I got from a breeder who got him from a pet store, had a problem with his lungs, and died a couple of years later (it was cronical).

I often see chinchillas in pet stores I would like to buy, but I would never do it. It's just to big a risc. There is a way to big risc of mental problem imo

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo

Tags
hairless rat, pet store, pet stores, vet care