Introducing young and younger Chins - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Introducing young and younger Chins

Hi, I have a question about introducing a young 5-7 month old male chin to a young adult (don't like to be called old, note the thread title lol) 2yr old female. I recently found this chin kit sat outside in a cage (aquarium at that ) by the dumpster in my apt complex (heartbreaking ). I have taken him to the vet and everything is fine, no sickness, nourished, etc (thank heavens!). I am considering keeping him as an addition to my female chin who had a cage mate that just passed a little while ago (couple of weeks). I know the breeding risk and have experience a breeding pair of chins before (dang pet store "professional sexing") I am well researched in how to care for kits, birth emergencies, etc. I just want to know if it will be ok to introduce these two (slowly) to eventually be in the same cage. I have not experience such an age difference with two chins. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 04:47 PM
chinchilla breeder

It would be ok other than you don't know the genetic background of this chinchilla and if they aren't breeding quality animals they shouldn't be bred. But the age shouldn't be a problem

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kristy Morici
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks

Ok, thank you guys for the replies. He is too young to be fixed now correct? So I will just keep them separate until then. And also for clarification, you guys are saying that a young male whose background is known would be ok with a 2yr old female both socially and breed-wise (if their genetics were favorable)? What about the other way around? (This is not something I am or plan on doing, just am curious about it now). Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 07:18 PM
chinchilla breeder

I am saying that you can take a young male and an older female and put them together, I have taken 4 and 5 year old females and bred them to a younger male. It doesn't sound like you know your females background either though as she came from a pet store so she shouldn't be bred either....both should be kept separate. I do believe he must be 6-8 months old to nueter But I have never had one nuetered if I don't want it breeding I just don't put it with a female.

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

Tags
breed, chinchilla, introduce, introduction, young