Just Got a chin - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Just Got a chin

I just purchased a chin from the pet store about 2 months ago and have a few questions. She's about 8 - 9 months old.

I think she is in heat now, is it common for a chin to lick and paw at her genitals during this time? She seems to lick herself often, and today I caught her pawing at herself, almost like she was masterbating.

The next question is she sleeps alot. How much does a chin usually sleep? Mine seems to just nap thoughout the day and play and eat inbetween, and sleeps most of the early night until about 12 - 1am. Is this normal?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 02:28 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

No, the pawing at the genitals and such is not normal for a heat as far as I know. Coming from the pet store at that age, I'd be very concerned that she's pregnant and going into labor. I would probably have her seen by a vet experienced in chinchillas just to be sure. The last thing you want is her developing problems in labor and losing she and/or a kit.

Sleep patterns can vary, especially for a chin who's acclimated to a pet store's day schedule. I wouldn't be concerned about that.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

I was actually afraid she might be pregnant. She has been laying on her side often for about a month and a half now and I've read that can be a sign as well.

Do you know of anywhere I can go to find a list of experienced vets? I took her to a vet the first week I got her, but I don't believe he was very experienced with dealing with Chins.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 01:22 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Where do you live?

http://www.aemv.org/
That site has a list

As does this one:
http://chincare.com/Pages/VetResources.htm#vets

Stephanie

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Fremont, CA.

Thanks for the links
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 02:48 PM
Adolescent Pup

Also are you sure she's a she?? Pet store commonly missex animals...I know alot of my males "play with themselves"...just a thought...but DO find an experienced Vet to take her to!

Since Chins are nocturnal they do sleep most of the day...mine get all "geared up" starting around 9:30ish, cuz that's noramally when I start play time....

~Misty~

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

I did take to a Vet when we first got her, and the vet confirmed she was a she. But he didn't have very much experience with chinchilla's. Most of the info he gave us he had to look up. But I've seen some pics for determining the sex, and mine does look like a female.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 04:07 AM
Playful Pup

it could be possible she has some sort of infection. I think pet stores shouldn't be allowed to sell pets(yes I know there are some good ones out there) most of them how ever don't really care about the animals, they care about the money... They can pick all kinds of things up along the way. Does she have any discharg of any kind? also is she chewing the fur on her belly at all? Izzy chewed all the hair off her belly the night before she gave birth. Just something to think about

~Heather~

Once A Cowboy... Always A Cowboy...

slowly one-by-one the chinchillas steal my sanity
And The Sugar Glider Helps Them!

"Thoes that have the ability to act, Have the Responsibility to act."
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 07:55 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

As far as pet stores, I think chain stores are the best to go to. (I could definitely be wrong, because I know that some pet shops care about the animals and don't carry animals they don't know how to care for) But I went into petsmart and was surprised to see that they carried chins. They seemed to be okay and I had bought mice from them before. I've never had a problem with petsmart and now as far as I know, the vet there specializes in chins. The girl told me that if they ever have problems with their animals, they just take them to the in house vet.

I should definitely get a job there...lol...I know so much about little animals, I think I could help a lot people in deciding whether a small animal is right for them or not.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 08:52 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205
As far as pet stores, I think chain stores are the best to go to.
Just something to consider ... pet stores care not for genetic diseases that may show up after their 'guarantee' runs out. My pet store girl (from Petland, years ago) was just euthanized because she has root based malocclusion. She got the best diet, care, etc. and on the surface her teeth were nearly perfect, but there was nothing I could do to prevent the root growing into her eye socket because it was likely genetic.

I will always refer people to a reputable breeder who is aware of and cares about potential genetic health issues such as malocclusion.

Stephanie

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Adolescent Pup

I would say the exact opposite, stay as far away from chain stores as you can!!! I work at a "pet shop" family owned for 18 years. Husband and wife are there everyday and everything they do is done for the animals. Our store carries Oxbow, Mazuri, Tradition, Innova, Wellness, Solid Gold, etc. we try to stay away from commercial crap brands. All of our animals get veterinary care, and are fed the highest quality food possible. Yes I know there are exceptions, some petshops are crap, and some chain stores are acceptable.

But anywho, with your chinnie, a experienced vet visit should clear up what might be causing her behavior. I do have a question though, have you seen her urinate? Does she look like she is straining or having troubles? You said she was fiddling with her area, possiblity of a UTI? I dunno just a thought...

I hope everthing turns out ok, good luck!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Where I live, most of the family owned petshops don't exist. Theres one a town over that is complete CRAP. So that's what I meant by saying, chain stores are probably the best. In my opinion though, I think EVERY store should be checked out first. Petsmart seems to look okay.

Tags
pet shop, pet shops, pet store, pet stores, reputable breeder, vet visit, veterinary care