Just got a Chinchilla, asking for some advice. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Just got a Chinchilla, asking for some advice.

Hello everyone, I've just recently acquired a pet chinchilla... probably a week ago now, and i've found a small patch of matted fur under his jaw. He's a pretty friendly little guy, so hes been letting me pet him. I've been kind of scratching and thinning the patch but its been there for 2 days now. Would you all have any suggestions or ideas of what the cause could be? He has plenty of chew toys, and i've given him dust baths every other day. I've also taken to sweeping the various platforms in his cage on a daily basis. Also, any advice for a new owner would be greatly appreciated.

Summary for those who don't wanna wade through text:

New chinchilla owner looking for some advice. Chinchilla has some matted fur under his jaw, wat do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 07:17 PM
Newborn Pup

hi and congrats.

is he an older chin? where did you get him?
is he drooling??? if he is a sign of malo..

if he's not drooling and its from something else, sorry for not being able to think of anythign else....

jean

Safe and inexpensive chinchilla supplies:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

My friend is guessing hes around 3 or 4 months, and i don't think hes been drooling, but is there a particular way to check, or should i just periodically feel around his mouth?

Thanks for your response btw. I'm thinking he might have had some water bottle leakage on him during a dust bath, but bleh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Newborn Pup

IT MOST certainly can be water bottle issues.. you just reminded me when my angel was small, i went in to see her and she was drenched, i couldnt imagine what in the world, then i saw her trying to trying to drink..hahahaha.. poor girl couldnt get it right.

could may be you have a different type of water bottle then she/he is used to, before you got him, and is having some trouble figuring it out.

jean

Safe and inexpensive chinchilla supplies:

Tags
looking for advice, matted fur