Late night chinnie argument - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Late night chinnie argument

I am a bit baffled. Last night, I heard a really loud argument between my chins around 2:30 in the morning. When I looked in on them, Max (my three neutered year old who is the daddy) was fighting with one of the other two. (Max is beige and the other two are grey. I was so tired that I was having trouble figuring out which one he was fighting with.) They were in his favorite corner and he was trying to kick them out of it. It looked like his grown son (Muad'dib). Anyway, they were barking at each other and trying to be the tallest and manhandling each other. Finally, it looked like Max tried to bite his partner and it broke up. I checked everyone's paws, and there was no blood, but Maureen was trying to groom one of her paws a lot and Max wouldn't leave her alone, so I figured he'd nipped her. I thought it was all over, but I heard some barking in a few minutes. I decided to give them some time to cool down and was going to put Max in a crate for the night, but Maureen proved easier to catch. With her removal, things calmed down, and I could tell that she was unhurt. Maybe it was the boys who were fighting, but they started to chill at that point.

Any suggestions? I figure I'll give Maureen some time running in the bathroom tonight and then try to put her back with the boys. This group has been together for almost two years (Max and Maureen have been together almost three), and we've had a few little fights before. The boy and his dad bark at each other some times. Max likes to sleep next the wheel, and the boy jumps over it and pounces on his about once a month. Max takes a bit from the boy, but he's not a pushover. Maureen likes to be a drama queen, but for most part, she doesn't actually fight.

Maybe Max just had a bad day. Or maybe he decided it was time to say 'Whose your daddy?' I don't know.

Patti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 02:27 PM

Hmmm, sounds to me like just a little spat. I hope you can get everyone back together peacfully!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 09:53 PM

Until you know what is going on, please put several hiding spots for safe zones. Sometimes even the best of chinny friends can be dangerous to one another.
Do you have a big cage? Big cages seem to work out best when more than two chins share a cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your feedback.

First, these guys have a huge cage. It is a 2 1/2 level cage that is 4 feet tall and about 30inch by 30 inch at the base. They have a big ceramic wheel and a couple of houses to hide in (actually they flip them over and have turned them into forts, but they like to think outside the box) And also, its the three of them. Two neutered boys and Maureen. It's an odd trio, but neutering has made the boys pretty calm. Although they are father and son, they are more like brothers (they are only about 8 months apart in age).

I gave everyone lots of exercise yesterday (I was away for most of the weekend, so maybe they got a little cabin fever.) Then I put Maureen back in and watched. The problem appears to have been that everyone wanted to groom one of Maureen's front paws (which I inspected prior to reintroducing her and it has nothing wrong with it). So they pestered her for a little while, and then she went down and spent some time in one of the houses by herself. I kept a eye and a ear on them for the rest of night, and within a couple of hours they were all hanging out as they normally would. This morning they were all asleep in a big chinnie pile in one of the houses. So I guess it was a minor spat.

Thanks
Patti
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 03:03 PM

Good! Glad to hear the trio was able to be reunited! Did you say you have a CERAMIC wheel?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

It's a Leo Braun wheel available from chinworld. I think its just ceramic coated. It's heavy and mounted to the side of the cage with ball bearings (so that Maureen won't catch the other leg and require a motored wheel chai, despite losing her leg in a wheel accident, she still runs in the wheel a lot). Well worth the money though.

http://www.chinworld.com/Merchant2/m...gory_Code=CW03

Actually, looking at the page, the coating is isn't exactly ceramic either.

Anyway, you were probably getting a mental image a wheel that was made out of terra cota or something. Its not that crazy

Patti
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 12:43 AM

LOL, yep, I was thinking of somesort of wheel that lookes something like a flowerpot, or my chins ceramic food bowls I know what a leo braun is though... hopefully my chinnies may get some some day!

Tags
food bowl, food bowls, level cage