Lifespan of Domestic Chinchilla - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 12:15 PM
Jody

Question Lifespan of Domestic Chinchilla

I have been reading a lot of posts and information on area sites about chinchillas. The information states that they can have a life span of 18+yrs. In reading posts from chin owners, I have not read anywhere when anyone has a chin older than 5 yrs! Is it common for them to only live a few years in captivity?
I am already becoming concerned for the life of my 5 month old chin!

Could members please send me posts of how old their chins are so you can relieve my concern?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 12:38 PM
Fertile Myrtle

It is VERY common for them to live 15-20 years in captivity. I don't know anyone personally but I have heard mention of quite a few owners whose chinchillas are 14+ years.

Don't worry!!

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 04:47 PM

I have a 4 1/2 year old right now who is showing no sign of slowing down (even though she is missing a back leg). Also, at 3 1/2, she had her first and only baby.

When I was in Baton Rouge, LA, the oldest chinchilla that my vet had seen was 16 years old. Later, I hired a pet sitter who had a chinchilla who was also 16 (not the same chin- the first chin passed away in 2000). While her coat wasn't the best, the chinchilla still had lots of energy. She loved her wheel and was pretty cranky. Both the 16 years old were female, but Chapman had a male live to be 22+, so its probably not a gender thing.

Good luck.

Patti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 12:12 PM

Someone on another forum has a chinchilla that is 24 or 27 , I'm not sure on the exact age. I have read where some people have them that are 15+. I personally lost one chinchilla at the age of 1.5 years, however it was because of a freak accident. They do have a pretty long life span
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 01:11 PM

One of the ranches that I buy my chinchillas from has a 25+ year old chinchilla.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Newborn Pup

Lifespan of Chinchilla

My chinchilla, Puffy, is almost nine years old! When I bought him as a tiny 'puffball', as his name implies, I had done my own research on their lifespan. The majority of the information I found said they lived an average of 9 to 13 yrs. And, having read quite a bit, I NEVER heard or read of a lifespan of 19+ yrs. But that doesn't mean it isn't so. And, I hope you are right! I would love to know for sure myself so if anybody out there knows for sure....
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Part of the Pack

My chinny is turning 8 in jan!
I think maybe you read that they die so young because people usually post when an animal dies to get comfort or to figure out how it died? I haven't read many posts about people talking about their old chinchillas
who knows.
Your little chinny should live a long happy life if taken care of properly!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 10:04 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I was lurking around on Yahoo! Answers the other day, and this one person had said that their sister's two chinnies are both 22 years old and as healthy as ever.

Edit; I didn't realize this was really old. xDD

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Part of the Pack

With proper husbandry, chinchillas can live to be over 20 and most definitely have.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 12:16 AM
Adolescent Pup

wow that quite suprsing I had no idea Chins could live for the long....I guess I am glad I came across this since I eventually would like to get a chin or two.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 08:33 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Sorry about the late respons.
I have a 11 year old male, and he is doing fine.

It is said though, that because of inbreeding, the avrage ange is down to 8-10 years.
By the looks at it, I would guess this is pretty close to the truth.
Some chinnies, die very young, and some die very old, but a great deal die right around 10 years.
A couple of years back, the avrage was 10-15 years.
This dosen't mean your chinchilla is going to die young though...
You still need quite a big portion of 10+ years chinchillas to get the avrage about 10 years

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 11:59 AM

We bought our Chino when he was 2, that was about 8 years ago and he's never had a health problem. He's very active and seems healthy until recently. Watch your cats around your Chinny. The neighbours cat recently got into my house and pawded at our Chino and took his poor little eye out, we're devasted. We're praying for a healthy recovery but in the meantime, he is approx 10 (since we don't know his birth date) so your little guy should live a long, healthy and happy life...no worries! Nan.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 03:53 AM

Our Chinchilla Willy was 20 years old, yesterday, Christmas day. We know when he was born as we got him from a breeder. His twin brother, Dusty, died at 7 years of age.

Willy was out for a run just last night and is almost as active as he ever was. He just doesn't do bankshots off doors anymore.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 01:22 PM

I've got a female that is about a year and a half old. I'm not sure when she was born, but I got her on Valentine's Day last year for my girlfriend. Should I just go by Valentine's Day as her birthday? I can't really afford taking her to a vet just to get her exact age..
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Part of the Pack

There is no way to tell a chinchillas exact age by looking at them or anything. There is no indication other than an exact birth date.

Tags
chinchilla lifespan, domestic chinchilla