is light nibbling normal? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I am presently introducing a female chin "Lexi" to my male "Chi Chi", which is new for me....Chi Chi is a young bachelor! They did their familiarity time in seperate cages as commonly advised. Today I put them in the playroom (bathroom) with me together to play. Well, at first Lexi was a little frightened, but soon it appeared they were exchanging love-nibbles to eachothers mouth, nose and ears....they didn't appear upset.....and he tried to mount her several times. So, is this normal behavior? I swear every site on the net wants to discuss the after-effects of mating, but not the actual behavior! How frustrating! ( least I have the signs of pregnancy and following care ingrained in my head....about a 100 times!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 06:27 AM
Part of the Pack

Are you planning on breeding the two? If so, are you REALLY ready for it? I wouldn't advise breeding chinnies unless you have LOTS of experience with them and you've done LOTS of homework. When we first got our chinnies we wanted to breed them too, but after we did some research and got opinions from other PT members we decided not to because of the dangers of breeding. Are your chinnies pet shop chinnies, or did you get them from a trusted breeder? You should really reconsider if you've never bred before :/

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chilla, our female

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Twin boys, Cadbury and Punkin
Casper.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It looks like you've gotten a lot of cautions about breeding, so I'll only add a few links with some more information on what to consider before breeding, then I'll try to answer your question. I always strongly urge someone not prepared for considerable expense (obtaining quality animals, c-sections, etc), time (hand feeding kits if needed) and heart break (those kits/moms who don't make it) to reconsider breeding.
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29926
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21866
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12912

Quote:
So, is this normal behavior?
Yes, and it sounds like you've been very lucky. The facial grooming is a part of their social structure (some will even groom their humans). The mounting could be dominance or you may need to mark your calendar for 111 days. Check your female, see if she looks open or if her fur is wet around her genitals. I'd mark the calendar either way, just in case.

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

no....I was not planning on breeding. oops! I guess I forgot to mention that I had Lexi on a special harness leash with a "diaper" on it while introducing the couple. lol. sorry for the heart attack! Actually Chi Chi is getting nuetered next month. I just wanted to see if they would get along. But everything was under control...she couldn't run off out of my sight and he couldn't get access for mating unless he took the time to chew off her "diaper"....which wasn't about to happen on MY watch. We will be having limited, and fully harnessed playdates, for now. That was part of the frustration in trying to find an answer, I didn't want babies yet, getting babies was the only info I was finding! Thank you Jade for the answer I needed!

animals are our babies!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Glad to hear it. Were it me, I'd probably hold off on the play dates unless you're 100% certain she can't get pregnant. Chins have been known to get frisky between the bars of two separate cages, so they can be inventive.

Here's another article on neutering, just so you're prepared and know what to watch for: http://chinnitude.com/neuter.htm

And one on introductions: http://chinnitude.com/intro.htm

Remember to keep Chi Chi away from Lexi for at least 6-8 weeks after the neuter, as they can still be producing sperm for a while afterwards.

Stephanie

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for the info! Very helpful! I didn't realize chins were so persistant! (reminds me of my husband...haha). If I seem a bit niave, it is because I am. We just got Chi Chi early this summer, I was not planning on another chinchilla for some time, but.....my daughters friend fell in love with Chi Chi while visiting this summer, without warning she had convinced her mom to buy HER one. Needless to say I was not happy, I wish she would have consulted us, I could've cautioned her on the responsibility and special care needed! But as I predicted, 2 months later the mom calls me to see if I could take in the poor little girl. I did check with the guy I bought Chi Chi from, to see if he could take her...but he couldn't. So I got her, 3 1/2 weeks ago. But looks like she'll have to wait a little longer to be united with her prince....I am not ready for babies.....I delt with baby bunnies a few years ago (thanks to my daughters deciding the bunnies needed to play together without my knowledge!).....just as bad.....time consuming hand feeding and heart breaking losses.

animals are our babies!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Part of the Pack

Glad to hear you aren't planning to breed!
Jade gave great advice as always
Good luck

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

Chilla, our female

Twin boys, Cadbury and Punkin
Casper.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 02:47 AM
Newborn Pup

I've found this website to be very helpful in learning how to take care of chins:

http://www.chinbin.com/chinfriends.html

Best of luck!

Tags
baby bunnies, pet shop, separate cages, seperate cages