A little help please - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation A little help please

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone could give a little advice. It's sort of a long story, but i'll try to keep it as short as possible.

I've had my chin for about 10 years now, and up until about 2 years ago he has been relatively healthy. Good diet, plenty of chew toys, and excercise. But about 2 years ago, he began to eat a lot less. He showed signs of discomfort when eating. I promptly took him to a vet (actually, several vets). They took x-rays of his mouth to see if it was malocclusions or any other tooth problems, but found nothing. The vet even said that if any problems develop with the inner molars, there wouldn't be much that they can do since he was a small/exotic animal. Having said that, for the past 2 years, i've been feeding him manually by grinding up Mazuri Chin pellets and Animax pellets to a fine powder and then mixing it with water to create a "slurry" mix. He has also made attempts to eat some fresh hay and oatmeal on his own.
About 2 months ago I decided to try something new by adding Vitamin C into his diet. I purchased 250mg tablets, (no sugar & rose hip based) ground them up into a powder and included a VERY small amount into the slurry. I continued to add the vitamin C into his feed for about 1 month in the hopes that it would improve his condition. Unfortunately since then his condition has worsened and I have discontinued the vitamin C.
He is now not eating anything on his own. The only thing he eats is the slurry in which I feed him. He has begun to drool from his mouth and paws at his mouth frequently, which leads me to believe his incisors are growing too long (he did continue trim his own teeth up until i began to give him the vitamin C). There is no doubt in my mind that he has malocclusions or other teeth problems. My question is, what can I do about? Could the vitamin C have worsened his condition?
I know I am going to get many comments about why I don't put him to sleep and how I could let him suffer like that, but it's very hard considering I've had him for 10 years. Plus, aside from the problems mentioned, he still eats a fair amount and is still pretty active. I REALLY don't want to have to put him down as long as he is eating, and still has a chance.
The thought of taking him to a vet for a professional opinion has crossed my mind many times, but please try to understand that my chin is VERY unique. He does not react very well to vet visits. He gets very stressed and becomes untrusting afterwards. And he's not exactly a "young" chin anymore. I'm afraid that if i take him to the vet, his condition will worsen even more and get so stressed that he'll stop eating entirely.

Does anyone have any advice or has/have any similiar situations with their chin??
Also, can anyone recommend a good, qualified chin vet in the New York City area??

Thanks in advance.

-nycchinguy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 04:37 PM

I know that this sounds dumb...but it might me diabetes...heyy plus you should get a vet to come to ur house and take x rayz of the staomach
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Adolescent Pup

It has to be malo, get another vet. The chin is in pain and needs medical attention. If you go onto http://chins-n-quills.com/forums/
look up Dawn, she has had some great success with using vitamin c.
Vitamin C did nothing to the chin. It sounds like his teeth problems got worse and that caused him to stop eating. Not the vitamin c. Vitamin C is good for them. I hate to say it, but if his malo is severe, it may be time to prepare yourself to say goodbye, there really isn't a cure and by keeping him alive you are just prolonging his pain. I know it doesn't help. I'm sorry, poor baby.

There is no one TRUE way

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Chloe * Jinx * Berry *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

For those who are interested in knowing, here's an update on my chin.....

I have taken him to a vet, one who has experience with treating chins (and one quite far away from where i live). It turns out he has serious teeth problems. She performed x-rays and had to file down his teeth. I will be going back to see her again in about a week to see how his teeth progresses.

in the days that i have brought him home, his condition seems to be very bad. he seems to be a grinding his teeth all the time. he is eating a lot less, and he's not drinking water on his own. we feed him about 5-6 times a day now, but he only eats a little each time. this is probably all due to the fact that his mouth feels so uncomfortable. the vet did prescribe 2 medications for him, Rimadyl, for his pain and inflammation, and Propulsid, to help him digest food/eat more. to make matters even worse, he has developed what looks to be an eye infection. i was able to contact the vet over the weekend and was able to get an antibiotic, Chloramphenicol oral solution, for the infection.

as anyone can imagine, i am not in the happiest of moods. If anyone has any advice and had any experience/knowledge of the medications mentioned above, please reply.

thanks in advance.

-nycchinguy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Adolescent Pup

The eye infection is probably from the roots of his teeth growing into the eyesocket. Have more x-rays done, it will show you. If the root is growing into the eyesocket there is no cure and he is in pain. You will know what to do when the time is right. I am very sorry.

There is no one TRUE way

* Chloe * Jinx * Berry *
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 10:42 PM
Adolescent Pup

Here is a link to an article that Dawn posted about malo on the other forum. It's very informative. I hope it helps. Scroll to page 8

http://www.aemv.org/Documents/Proceedings_2005.pdf

There is no one TRUE way

* Chloe * Jinx * Berry *
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren_201
The eye infection is probably from the roots of his teeth growing into the eyesocket. Have more x-rays done, it will show you. If the root is growing into the eyesocket there is no cure and he is in pain. You will know what to do when the time is right. I am very sorry.

i don't think so. his eye is swollen only under his buttom eye lid. the vet didn't work on his roots, just the surface. and he never had infections before. you would think that if his roots were so bad, the vet would have said something.
i guess we'll find out in a few days, to see if the infection gets any better, and when we go back to the vet in about a week. i REALLY hope it's not his roots. he's been with me for 10 years now, i dont know if i'll be strong enough to make the decision.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 07:17 PM

I just want to say good luck. I hope it is only a regular old eye infection. But, if the eye doesn't clear up, you've said you'll know to ask about the roots, and if worse comes to worse, you'll find strength where you need to because you love him.

In addition to the source Lauren gave you, have you done searches on the site here? There are a lot of valuable posts on here already about malo. Jade has a post with a link to chinnitude that shows radiographs, which will give you an idea of what to look for for the roots growing into the eyesockets.

I really do feel for you, this must be very difficult.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 09:21 PM

Sorry to hear about your chinnie But I agree with millie121 that you should look at Jade's post about malo, she's had a lot of experience with it (sadly ). Here is the link http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17468 . Good luck with the little guy and I hope he recovers from this.

Tags
chew toy, chew toys, vet visit, vet visits