Lost a leg and occasional travel? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Lost a leg and occasional travel?

I'm currently in the process of adopting a young black male chinchilla from a friend whose family breeds them.

I inquired to my friend about his black chinchilla, and he preceeded to give me some important information about said chinchilla.

Apparently, something had happened after/during his birth to cause him to lose part of a hind leg. He said that the chinchilla has no trouble walking or doing anything a 'normal' chin could do; BUT he doesn't jump as high. I have yet to see this chin in person, but I will soon. If the ailment has been there since birth, this shouldn't really affect how the chinchilla lives, right?

Also, my boyfriend is buying the chinchilla for me, as in paying. Rightfully, he plans to take the chinchilla every now and then, especially when I go out of town with my family. That way, someone I trust who's knowledgable about their care can take care of it.

If we allow time for the chinchilla to bond and learn to trust us, is it possible for him to become comfortable with both mine and my boyfriend's homes so the chin will not stress as much? We live about a 5 minute drive apart. I rarely travel for more than 2 days at a time.

I know this is a lot to ask, but thank you for any help! I want to be as prepared as I can for my new chin !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Some years ago we moved my old chinchilla to my cousins once a year, and that went fine.
Depending on how often you go out of time, you would be able to do it.

I'm not sure about the hind leg. It might not affect the animal, but on the other hand, it's the hind leg... If it were me, I would go and look at the animal, and if I didn't like how it was jumping around, I would get another one.
The thing is, chinchillas don't just jump around, they also like to sit on their hind legs, while holding the food in their front legs.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

I think the chin should be fine especially since the injury happened during birth. He/she will be fine traveling between you and your friend. Sounds like a very special lovable chinnie is waiting for you.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

Tags
birth, chinchilla, leg, lost