Major Chin Problem!!!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Major Chin Problem!!!!!

okay, I have two chins Murphy and Marty.....I got Murphy first and Marty Second, Murphy was a rescue.....He went to the vet shortly after I got him and everything checked out fine.....and Marty did too and He's fine also! this was quite a few months ago

Anyway they just went through a bout of very soft poo...and I believe it was because the pet store was out of the brand of hay I usually buy so I had to buy some other stuff that after I gave it to them I decided I really didnt like the way it looked so the past week they've had no hay...and the soft poo began like 3 days ago... I've been giving them extra shreaded wheat and I drove an hour yesterday to PetsMart to get the good hay and it seems to be getting better...but Murphy's (who's a black velvet) white on his belly is really yellowish and nasty now....I think from laying in his soft poo... so i had them out giving them thier dust baths and I was looking at murphy's belly....and I think Murphy may be a Murphet.....I never really "examimed" him before, they guy I got him from said he was a male, I told the vet when he went after I first got him and they didnt tell me no he's a she....

So anyway I dont know if i'm just parainod or what but now I think Murphy may be pregnat...His (or her) belly seems to feel soilder and he looks a little chunker......any way I'm prolly just imagining it.....
but if you not expecting to breed you chins...how can you tell if one is pregnat....I'm like positived Murphy is a Murphet...the last time Murphy was weighed was last fall at the vets so i dont really know if I should go by that.....
Oh let me add that I was planing on getting a differnt male and female and breed someday...but I was not planing on ever breeding Murphy or Marty since I dont know Murphy's Pedigree and Marty came fromt he petstore....
Any advice would be great....My BF's out right now but as soon as he gets home i'm going to take pictures to post and get everyone's opinion.....

~Misty~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

First, you have seperated them now right?

Secondly, there is no 'sure' way to tell if a chinchilla is pregnant. Weight monitoring is pry the easiest way for a newbie, but somechins don't put on any significant amount. I would contact a reputable breeder in your area and see if you can arrange to meet with them, or possibly have them look at your chinchilla. Also, start aquring all the things you will need to care for any potential kits.

As for sexing your chinchilla here are some pics to compare the sexual organs:

http://www.spoiledchins.net/sexing.htm

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yeah, I spent like 3 hours last night cleaning both our cages so now they each have their own.....Here's the pix we took last night of Murphy...sorry its kinda blurry.

Gosh, I feel so stupid....

Anyway they are both in their own cage now...we'll have to get a new wheel and more toys for them today....the seem so sad now that they are apart....they always slept cuddled together this morning they were laying against the side of each cage as close to the other cage as they could get, poor babies....all because of my stupidity!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg murphy.JPG (9.9 KB, 11 views)

~Misty~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Murphy does look like a female from the picture, but it's really hard to see for sure. Lizz gave some good advice. Most of the time there isn't anything special you need to do - mom will do it all. Just make sure the cage is baby safe (1" x 1/2" wire max) and keep an eye on her.

Stephanie

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Part of the Pack

She definitely looks like a female, it's important to always check the sex of any animal you adopt yourself. Because as you know now, people often missex!

Start reading up on chinchilla pregnancy and delivery all you can, so you will be prepared when the day comes. Also make sure you have a chin savy vet lined up in case of emergency.

Tags
black velvet, dust bath, dust baths, pet store, reputable breeder