Making chins get along.. I NEED HELP! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Exclamation Making chins get along.. I NEED HELP!

After a month of quarantine, it is now time to introduce my new black velvet male to my beige male.

I thought it would be easier than this. Just when I thought they were doing better...

So there first introduction, just to see how they might do, wasn't good at all. Bite, fur slip, all that drama.

So we got some vanilla, stunk them up with it, and held them faces away from each other. (Butt to face) That way they couldn't get at each others noses. So that all went well and they were pretty good.

So after a day or 2 of that we got our small travel cage (its very small, like the size of the ones you put your chin in when it is in a show) and put them in that, then put a paper plate down in there so they couldn't move too much, to bite each other. Then we took them on a car ride, and that went really good. So we put them in our larger travel cage the next day, so they could move around each other a bit.

That wen't well, they did some mounting, and my beige barked a bit, but for the most part it was civil.

So I tried the small travel cage today.. and they did ok.. then they started getting crazy, before I knew it they were ready to murder each other!

So I know the "smush" method says to let them work out their differences. But how far is too far. When we stuck the paper plate over top of them in the small cage, that seemed to really work well, I saw how other people did that. (Of course they have pre-made cages that are that small, so I am improvising.) Maybe I should go back to that and car rides?

I also need to go get a new cage, maybe that would help.

My beige is 2 years old and he has been with me 13 months, he's been a only chinchilla since I've had him, but his breeder had him in with his brother.

The black velvet is 1 year old. He seems to be more of the submissive one.

So someone help me with a course of action that has worked for you, or what you did if the chins didn't click after a few smushings, did they ever click?

I know some chins will just never get along. Though, they were doing so good up until tonight, I dont think that is the case with them, I just think they were having a bit of a mood swing.

HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 11:47 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

I took about 4 months to introduce my boys. I had moderate success with swapping cages. Every three days, I would switch them into the other's cage to get them used to the smell. I'm not sure how much it helped but it's worth a try. I also used a modified smoosh method in a critter ball (for VERY short times...it gets to hot otherwise). They couldn't really get at each other because of the movement but they were still in close contact.

Candice

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 11:55 PM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

I was once warned that after extended periods of time, chins can "forget" what it's like to be around other chins. Perhaps your beige boy needs some time to get used to another chin being in the same room.

I agree with Candice, however, be prepared for a long and tiring effort! While it is not impossible for them to get along right away, it usually takes a lot longer than that before they get along.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 12:52 AM
Adolescent Pup

I hope they start to get along for you. Im having the same troubles but its with my male and female, the female bites his bum fur out everytime he gets close enough to mount her. I know how frustrating it is, keep us posted on your progress

Ps: have they been rolling in the same dustbath? that used to work with my degus

Lois Isabel

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

yes,they are sharing a dust house. I even put them in it together yesterday, they were fine. I've also been swapping them in and out of each others cages, and tomorrow I am gonna put pee pee bedding from ones cage into the others, and vis versa. I'm gonna go get a neutral cage sometime here soon and scrub my beiges cage with vinegar to get rid of as much smell as i can.

anyone else got any tips??? help!!!!!!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 08:10 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

The only thing I suggest is patience! There is no miracle cure to make chinnies like each other. You just have to wait until they are ready to accept one another, if ever.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 06:39 PM
Proud New Mommy

Sorry Wheelie.. I didn't think Bailey would be so jealous of him. I tried everything I knew to try while I was there!!-- I have two right now (Rylee and Sage) that are also ready to kill eachother. I wish someone had a miracle that could get rid of all this chillie drama.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau

Tags
black velvet