?male & male or male & female? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

?male & male or male & female?

Hello all,
As some of you know, recently my female chinchilla kassy passed away.
I still have a seven year old male, Marlo. I will probably eventually get another chinchilla for him, older of course.
I was just wondering, being options are limited in alaska for getting older chins, if it is better (or no different) to house a male and female or two males together.
he has only been with my female kassy, as ive had him since he was young.

does it matter on gender??
thank you,
nicole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 09:04 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Male or female, it makes no difference

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 01:12 PM

Cool

I have two males together, I'm not ready for little kits even thought they are very cute I don't won't the responsibilities of the breeding deal. I used to breed hamsters and that was a task in a half. But I don't think sex really matters with chins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 04:09 PM

Is he neutered? I think that would help me decide. I know my male is so in love with his mate he hates all other female chinchilla's. If he breeded with Kassy, I think it takes a long time, if ever, to get them to mate with another female...but just incase he does, would you want more?

I would go with another male if it was me. But in the end, he may not get along with the new chin and you may have 2 seperate ones. Just something to think about...goodluck!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

He is neutered. I do not have enough time to care for babies, unfortunately! lol
I am thinking a female because before Marlo was neutered he was more aggressive and humped EVERYTHING! and I don’t think I want that again if I got a "in tact" male. ya know lol.
Also, if I did try to get another chin I would make sure I could return it and have it go to a different home if Marlo and he/she didn’t get along. I don’t have room for two permanent chin cages.
Its a hard decision, but im waiting till Marlo and I are both ready for another chinnie.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 08:00 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

If your chinnie is depressed, there would be a good chance of him liking a new friend right away.
Don't think you are doing him a faver, because your sad, and don't think you could take in a new chin.
Many animals need a new friend as quick as possible, if they get depressed.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Yeah, he doesnt seem like hes really depressed though. He sleeps in his house a lot more, so it feels like i never see him, but i think thats only because when kassy was with him they would sleep together out of the house. otherwise hes eating great and is WAY eager to get out of the cage (which he always is). ive only heard him make the chin "call" noise twice.
I dont know. Im keeping an eye out but in alaska older chinchillas dont come around very often for adoption.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Part of the Pack

I am sorry about Kassy, first off. If he is eating and drinking fine and seems to be acting normal, he should be okay without a buddy for a bit, extra playtime with Mom would do much good

As for male x male or male x female seeing as your guy is neutered, honestly, they don't get along better, or worse either way. If you do decide to get a new chin, your best bet would be a baby, as they take to it easier depending on their personality.
Good luck on whatever you decide.

Tags
males together