Malocclusion in the chinchilla. - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 06:13 AM
Newborn Pup

using nail clippers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 09:20 AM

One of my chinnies has malloclusion of the front teeth. They are growing extra thick front to back and are all bumpy in the front.

Here's a pic. http://www.chins-n-quills.com/forums...chmentid=34841

I took him twice to the vet to trim the back half of the upper teeth because it was not meeting the lowers and growing out of control. but now it seems that the bottom teeth are growing a bit thicker as well and his front teeth are wearing themselves down properly.

Each time i took him in (in april and in june) the vet did a visual on the molars and said they looked fine. My question is... can there be problems with the roots without any visible signs of problems?

His one eye just started to look wet so I plan to have him x-rayed soon. I know there isnt anything that can be done for him except make him comfortable and when the time comes save him from enduring too much pain.
post #18 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianamator
My question is... can there be problems with the roots without any visible signs of problems?

His one eye just started to look wet so I plan to have him x-rayed soon. I know there isnt anything that can be done for him except make him comfortable and when the time comes save him from enduring too much pain.
Unfortunately the roots can have problems without any visual signs - x-ray is the only true way to tell.

And this is just for anyone else ... I wouldn't recommend snipping your chinchilla's front teeth without guidance from a veterinarian or experienced rancher.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 02:49 PM
Playful Pup

Talking X-ray Reposted

I switched folders in my directory, just reposted this. Sorry about not responding to these replies sooner, I didn't get the usual notification! We've had some email server issues lately and that may be why... anyhoot...

For the powdered vitamin C we just go on ebay and buy tablets to crush, just regular 500mg tablets, don't have to be chewable: http://search.ebay.com/vitamin-c_Die...Z19259QQsojsZ1

To crush them, and the calcium as well, we double up a couple of pillowcases and use a hammer- best to do this on the floor. We keep the calc-c mix in a Ziploc baggie in the fridge until we mix it into the chin's food, just enough to dust their food. You added some cool smiley's, Stephanie!

With vitamin C the main thing is to keep it in their system continually, that's why you can't miss with dusting their pellets. Any excess vitamin C is just urinated out.

DIFFERENT story with calcium, there is a calcium to phosphorus RATIO that must be met for proper calcium absorption: 2 parts calcium to 1 part phosphorus or equal amounts of calcium to phosphorus. I think everyone should read this article, it addresses calcium supplementation and is just brilliant.

After looking at the phosphorus/ calcium ratio in our feed and the mineral blocks we sometimes use, we decided to buy Bone Builder Blocks for the calc-c mix. These can be obtained least expensively from Seward Breeders. I measure the amount of powder after mashing vit C and calcium, and put equal amounts of both powders in the bowl that I dust the pellets with, just add enough so that all the pellets get dusted. Then, we serve our chins from that bowl for the week.

We're fortunate enough to have a fridge just for our chinnies, it keeps the feed fresh and we keep their serving bowl in there. I'd recommend refridgerating pellets for anyone who can, it helps retain the nutritional value of feed which would otherwise, even in cool dry storage, deteriorate rather rapidly. We've been told that feed can lose a significant amount of its nutritional value after about a month of storage when not refridgerated.

Regarding taste, our chins absolutely love their pellets dusted with calc-c and I've tried seeing if they'd still like it without, but they hold out waiting to see if I'll put in the "right" kind of pellets... LOL!

After the experience with out maloccluding gal, I got this section of our Prevention and Healing page together: http://www.chincare.com/HealthLifest...m#dentalhealth There is a list of articles relating to malocclusion, the calcium ratio, skull and x-ray photos, new dental procedures for malocclusion, etc.

Chinchilla Girl, that is an excellent preventative measure, to check their jawline regularly. Everybody should do that!

Our vet just got new dental equipment that I'm going to get a pic of on our next visit. One sure way to help prevent malocclusion is to provide a steady supply of a variety of hays- that's what we do now rather than giving treats. Shredded wheat (spoon size, unsweetened), some grains and dried herbs they get once or twice weekly on top of their food, as long as you don't mix it in they won't dig in their dish. If someone's looking really cute or for a reward, they get the shredded wheat biscuit and they like those as much, if not more, than raisins! And the biscuits require extra grinding and give more roughage to their GI tract, I think it's a better deal all around. Obviously, if overfed they'd cause the inverse problem that overfeeding raisins causes.

"Compassion, in which all ethics must take root, can only attain its full breadth and depth if it embraces all living creatures and does not limit itself to humankind." -Albert Einstein

chincare.com, an educational site and matildesmission.org, a chinchilla charity that helps rescue and ranch chinchillas
post #20 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 04:49 PM
m c

I see it's been a while since this topic was last addressed but as our chinchilla (Gizmo) is showing severe drooling, I'd thought I'd chime in and try to extract a little more info. So far he is only drooling, albeit quite heavily. His eyes seem ok, he's eating normally and still has plenty of energy and vitality. He does seem to have ceased working his incisors on wood, etc. He occassionally paws at his mouth but I don't get the impression it's to relieve pain as listed among the indicators of malocclusion.

Regardless of the 'would-be' or 'might-not-be' symptoms, I'm confident it is malocclusion and have booked an appointment at the vet. While I hesitate even doing that, as we lost a guinea pig back in September due to what we're confident was improper anestesia application (he was also in for molar problems), I know something needs to be done.

Is there anything specific I should be aware of before visiting the vet? Any specific questions I should ask? What is the approximate percentage of chinchillas requiring euthenasia as a result of malocclusion?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael
post #21 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 01:36 AM

The iso-something-or-other gas is the safest way to put a chinny under. Make sure they use only the gas, not an injection.
post #22 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 10:02 AM

You will want to make sure the vet uses gas to put your chinny under for xrays. It is the safest way to anestitize a chinny.

Make sure you get straight on side xrays to see if the roots of the molars are ok.

If the xrays show any problems, you should discuss with your vet any possible treatment options. My vet suggested that my chinnie's incisors be surgically removed like the do with rabbits sometimes, but he would have to be hand fed every day and that is no way to live.

You should discuss when is the right time to euthanize Gizmo before he is in too much discomfort if there is a problem. The end is not a pretty sight and you will want to spare your Gizmo from the pain as best you can. A good chinnie vet can help you make the right decision. It's not an easy or quick decision.
post #23 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 06:34 PM
m c

Is it possible that his pawing at his mouth is him wiping away the slobber rather than an attempt to relieve pain? He's still eating perfectly well and I caught him working his teeth on the cage little as well as the water bottle spout. It's killing me that we have to wait another day before we can bring him in.
post #24 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 07:57 PM
m c

As of today, the slobbering has COMPLETELY stopped. Does this mean anything at all? We're still bringing him in in the morning for x-rays, etc., but is this a good sign or is it indifferent? His appetite is still strong and seems to be back to working his teeth on different things a little.

Thoughts?
post #25 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm just getting to this - apologies for that. The advice given has been great, he does need to have x-rays done. If you need me to email you or your vet the original hi-res copies of the x-rays I have, shoot me a PM. A radiograph is the ONLY way to rule out malocclusion. The surface teeth can be completely normal and the roots a mess.

The drooling having ceased is really an indicator of nothing, unfortunately. He may just be having a good day. Keep encouraging him to eat, and keep the appointment for tomorrow.

Best of luck.

Stephanie

post #26 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 02:57 PM
m c

Thanks Jade. He's back from the vet and seemingly doing well. According to my wife (I couldn't go to the appt), what they claim to have discovered is that his teeth are fine with no threat of malocclusion. What they believe was causing the drooling was a blockage of sorts from something he ate that didn't go down right. The vet thought it may have been caught somewhere above his stomach but it has since made its way to his stomach.

She isn't sure what it is, possibly a hairball. She recommended some pineapple juice which has enyzmes that can help break up hairballs. She said to closely watch his food intake and general demeaner because if it's something that he can't process he'll need to be put down to relieve the inevitable pain associated with such blockages.
post #27 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 10:43 PM
Playful Pup

Talking

I updated our "Dental Health" section, including "Symptom Progression" and "Environmental Factor," posted more photos as well.

Anyone interested in dental supplementing should check out these products, they have the phosporous required for calcium absorption:

http://shop.petsmart.com/product-123...4441777401.htm
-and-
http://pet-guys.stores.yahoo.net/-091197730080.html

We clip our overgrown incisors too, it's important you get a vet recommendation for procedure and tool to use.

"Compassion, in which all ethics must take root, can only attain its full breadth and depth if it embraces all living creatures and does not limit itself to humankind." -Albert Einstein

chincare.com, an educational site and matildesmission.org, a chinchilla charity that helps rescue and ranch chinchillas
post #28 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 10:22 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

i had no idea about this disease. it sounds so painful its awful. chilli's teeth are short so i don't think he has it and i'm glad

why breed or buy when shelter animals die

home to:
1 dog a pit bull named Troy and a border collie/golden retrever/boxer mix named Amber

and 7 cats (Butterfly, Furchol, Carmel, Nova, Hope, Shaddy& Christian)

3 rats Flora, Fauna, & Merryweather
post #29 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Adolescent Pup

A woman emailed me about her chinchilla, knowing if I knew of any good chinchilla vets in our area. I told her of the ones I know and have taken my chinchillas too, but it seems to me like her chin has malocclusion... I'm trying to help her out... so what do you think?
Here is her email:
"Hi,

I recently took my 14 year old drooling chichilla to All Creatures Animal hospital in Amherst NY. Dr. Adamcak gave him xrays, put him under, and gave him a tooth check. She said she found no serious tooth problems.

Well, $700 later I still have a drooling chichilla, with no fur on the lower half of his body.
I'm looking for a vet that could give me a second opinion.

Do you know of any other good chin vets in the Buffalo area? I'll travel up to 45 minutes each way, if I need to. He doesn't mind car rides.

Normally I love All Creatures, but instead of spending another $700 there I'd like to see if another vet can figure my drooling bugger out.

-Jessica"

*Corina's Critter World*

post #30 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Can she get copies of the x-rays?

Stephanie

Tags
animal hospital, exotic vet, guinea pig, pet store, shredded wheat