Malocclusion in the chinchilla. - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Adolescent Pup

thanks so much for all the information on teeth put in here i was able to take it to my vet who was able to use it to help diagnose poor Olivia with her teeth
good luck to everyone with chinnies and teeth issues if we had gotten to Olivia sooner i know we could have helped her but sadly some things are not meant to be

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chin mummy to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Zoe and Rupert
Sweet Pea and Snude
Fluke and Bindi
Sophie and Monty
No-toes
Snickers

Speights

Lily and Milo
RIP Olivia
Toby

0800 Chin Addiction Services

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Adolescent Pup

I gave her the link to this thread. Hopefully she'll join the forum...

*Corina's Critter World*

post #33 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 12:00 AM
Adolescent Pup

She sent me links to some pictures of the x-rays.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../charlie_4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../charlie_3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../charlie_2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../charlie_1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ad/charlie.jpg

What does it look like to you?

*Corina's Critter World*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm not a veterinarian so I won't diagnose, but I will say that I'd get a second opinion.

Stephanie

post #35 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Adolescent Pup

This is the email I recieved from her today. So, still not sure what's causing the drooling...
"Hi - I have not been online for a week, sorry.
I have since taken Charlie to Dr. Wade in Lancaster (new vet), she was really nice and used to xrays to really explain the compation of his roots to me. I feel alot better, and understand it better now. She said he also and some bad spurs, and removed them. She didn't even need to sedate him that much!
He's still having trouble eating pellets though, and she said he was losing weight based on his records, so I ground up his pellets with my blender and made a falafal like mash out of them. He went WILD and ate all this really fast! I give him a little bowl of this every night, with the meloxicam she gave me mixed in, which she thinks will reduce his impaction pain.
He's still drooling really bad every now and then, and his fur still clumps, but he's eating alot better... he even tries to eat the whole pellets I give him.
He's still a happy energetic lil guy, running all over. :-)
Thanks for your help!"

*Corina's Critter World*

post #36 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

The drooling could simply be pain, could be from the sores caused by the spurs, etc.

Stephanie

post #37 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Playful Pup

Hi, is this something that happens in older chins or can it happen at any age?

"Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option."
Shadow, Thor, Sandy, Pandora and Isis

Spike
post #38 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

It can happen at any age.

Stephanie

post #39 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Playful Pup

Thanks, i was afraid you'd say that.

"Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option."
Shadow, Thor, Sandy, Pandora and Isis

Spike
post #40 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 11:54 AM

I just made a post and it seems my chinchilla fits these symptoms. My vet seems good, but has not said that Chupie has this. Should I seek another opinion? There doesn't seem to be an experienced vet (that is, with exotics) near me (Wooster, Ohio).
post #41 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

If you haven't had dental x-rays done then they need to be taken. You might consider seeing another vet.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #42 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmclaugh View Post
I just made a post and it seems my chinchilla fits these symptoms. My vet seems good, but has not said that Chupie has this. Should I seek another opinion? There doesn't seem to be an experienced vet (that is, with exotics) near me (Wooster, Ohio).

Give North Coast Bird and Exotic Specialties a call. They are vets that specialize in birds, amphibians and "exotic mammals", which I imagine chinchillas fall under? I don't have a chinchilla, so I've not had to deal with the vet issue (I came across them when I was trying to find a vet for my frog, but in any case I'd say they're worth a shot since they're exotic vets and not too far).

Here's their number:

(330) 825-2434
EXOTIC PET VETS

Good Luck!

---------------------------
Millie
Mom to 2 crazy kitties and 1 African Clawed frog.

post #43 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 09:20 PM

thanks milie, I'll look into that!
post #44 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 06:22 AM
Newborn Pup

Unhappy i think my chinchilla may have this condition

he sometimes paws at his teeth and i have looked at his teeth and i noticed he had a cut but its cleared up now do you think this is related? im really worried now.he did this when he fell off my shoulder, he's not normal so silly but he just jumped/ fell of and he was pawing at his mouth.i think he knocked his teeth into his gum, but im no expert .he dosent have any signs of pain when eating.is there any signs i should look for?
help

My chinchilla, leo

My dog, Sydney

Possible baby chinnie!!!

MARLEY

post #45 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 08:00 AM
Playful Pup

Could you submit a picture, or do his teeth look like this?

http://www.chincare.com/IMAGES/healt...l-accident.jpg

What color are his teeth? Clear/ white to pale yellow teeth tend to overgrow and eventually lead to malocclusion. Ideally teeth should look like this, dark orange teeth are a sign that calcium levels in the body are sufficient:

"Compassion, in which all ethics must take root, can only attain its full breadth and depth if it embraces all living creatures and does not limit itself to humankind." -Albert Einstein

chincare.com, an educational site and matildesmission.org, a chinchilla charity that helps rescue and ranch chinchillas

Tags
animal hospital, exotic vet, guinea pig, pet store, shredded wheat