Malocclusion in the chinchilla. - Page 4 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Kansas City Chinchillas

He may have knocked his teeth out of alignment when he fell. I would get x-rays done if you have any doubt about his injury. If you catch dental problems early it is much easier to correct them.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 05:30 PM

Jade, Thank You so much for the info you posted on this. I had to take Dewy to the vet today because of lack of eating and when I brought it up to the vet he looked in Dewy's mouth and one of his top molars is growing into his cheek. He started him on antibotics and is going to put him under on Thursday and cut off the point and smooth off the tooth. While Dewy is under he is going to check the rest of his mouth. He said that I caught it in time to fix it. With out the info posted on it I would have never known. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
post #48 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 12:53 PM

Just an update on Dewy. He had surgery on the 24th and came home pretty sore and groggy. Dr. Moore said there were two bottom teeth growing into his tounge as well as the top molar growing into his cheek. He got them all filed down and took x-rays to check on root growth. Per the x-rays, there is very little root growth into his lower jaw or his sinus cavity. As of this morning, he ate some pellets and hay out of his bowl last night. I am still hand feeding him too to make sure he's not hungery. He is doing very well. Again, THANK YOU Jade!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 11:30 AM

I had a chinchilla, Pikachu, who had Malocclusion of the molars. He wouldn't eat, he wouldn't play, and he would RELUCTANTLY take a raisin! (haha they'll eat a raisin no matter how bad it hurts!) My vet mentioned that there was a surgery where they can remove all of the molars, but it was $700 and he said there wasn't a high chance that he'd even survive the surgery, and if it was a success he would have to be handfed the rest of his life (which I would have been fine with, I was hand feeding him anyway) but the vet highly recommended euthanizing, and from all the research I've done I couldn't find any chance that he would survive so we finally decided to put him down. It was a very sad day! But in the future, if I ever have another chinchilla with malocclusion of the molars I wont hesitate to euthanize, I wont let any of my chins suffer as long as Pika did. As for Malo with the ensicors, I believe that is do-able, but its still a rough road. Bottom line, make sure your chins are happy!
post #50 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 08:45 PM

I can't believe it has already been 6 months since Dewy's surgery. He is doing so good! There is no sign that he ever had malocclusion symptoms. He is eating on his own since about 2 weeks after surgery. Loves to get out and hang out with me. Runs in his wheel all the time. He is Dewy again.
post #51 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 02:33 PM

Hello
I found this topic searching the internet and am worried that my chin has malocclusion.
Here is the x-ray we made today:
hxxp://img4.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img4401y.jpg

sorry for posting the link like this, but I'm worried about my chin and this is the only place to turn to, and I think it's an emergency...
Just recently I noticed it drooling and eating less so I searched what could be causing this and found malocclusion.
I'm from Croatia and my vets don't know much about Chin diseases so this is my only place to turn to.
Any help and info would be great.
Thanks.
Mario
post #52 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

I am not a vet but have experience as an x-ray tech and am familiar with normal/abnormal teeth x-rays of chins. From the x-ray it appears to me that your chin has malocclusion. The roots of the upper and lower molars are elongated. The upper molar roots appear to have possibly grown in to the sinus cavities. This is very painful for your chin and there is no cure. Unfortunately I think it may be best to put him down. I'm sorry. This is just my opinion so you need to verify it.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #53 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Ouch. I would agree with Cathy, to me it looks like malocclusion, but we cannot truly diagnose as we are not veterinarians. Were it my chinchilla, with disease that severe, I would euthanize.

Stephanie

post #54 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 06:23 PM

Thank you for the prompt replies.
I was hoping that this answer won't be here when I look, but also knew that it probably will be.
Was there anythink I could have done if I catched the disease earlier?
I can't believe that it came to my attention so late in its development. Just now as the chin began slobbering and its neck fur became all wet did I see a symptom.
Tomorrow I'll go see my vet and tell him about this, and show your x-ray pics from the first post because in my country vets don't know about this. After they see it, maybe they will have some solution even if it is putting my chin to sleep. At least I'll know he isn't suffering any more.

Thanks for the help.
I will update you about what happens.
post #55 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 07:27 PM

Unfortunally, I had to have Dewy put to sleep this past Thursday due to this. I had his teeth that were growing into his cheek and tongue last April and this April another operation. Only this time the x-rays showed 3 cracked teeth and growing downward into his chin. He had a huge bump there. He weighed 680 grams 04.22.09, the day before surgery and 620 grams on Thursday. I couldn't keep up feeding him and giving him water through a syringe. I couldn't let him starve to death. He is being cremated and his ashes back to me. When the vet ground down Dewy's teeth, he bought Dewy time. The first time a year, the second time 2 weeks. Keep a close eye on the amount your chin eats. That is how I knew that it was time for dewy to take a peaceful nap. He wasn't eating and the first night he didn't eat I started force feeding with a syringe and like I said, I couldn't keep up. Please don't let your chin starve to death. Let him/her die in peace. If you do have to feed with a syringe, crush the pellets into powder and add water until you are able to get through the syringe. Give just as much as he/she can eat and swallow. I had best luck with Dewy on his back in my lap. Very slow with the water, too. If you have any other questions, please email me at [email protected].
post #56 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sle314 View Post
Thank you for the prompt replies.
I was hoping that this answer won't be here when I look, but also knew that it probably will be.
Was there anythink I could have done if I catched the disease earlier?
I can't believe that it came to my attention so late in its development. Just now as the chin began slobbering and its neck fur became all wet did I see a symptom.
Tomorrow I'll go see my vet and tell him about this, and show your x-ray pics from the first post because in my country vets don't know about this. After they see it, maybe they will have some solution even if it is putting my chin to sleep. At least I'll know he isn't suffering any more.

Thanks for the help.
I will update you about what happens.
I'm sorry =( I can't access the link that you included, but if you can get it diagnosed I would euthanize, I rescued a chin with malocclusion and they had let it go on WAY WAY WAY too long and it was not pretty.. malo can cause more problems and its a very slow and painful death. Poor Pika was just so miserable he could barely move, he wouldn't eat, he had a horrible wheeze, he would sneeze, his eyes were goopy, he wouln't play,, he had bloat (so he wouldn't even eat liquid food), he had a cyst on his tummy, and you could just tell how absolutely miserable he was! It was the saddest thing. I would never put any animal through that much suffering! Euthanesia is really the most humane thing to do in that situation. But on the other hand, I have a different chinchilla that would get these eye infections (just like Pika) and I noticed one day that under his chin was matted down like it had gotten wet and his appetite decreased, so I instantly thought it was malocclusion, but I took him to the vet and turns out he just has allergies (the "drool" was just coinsidence from when he was drinking out of a bowl instead of a water bottle because it had broke) so I would TRY to get it diagnosed before you euthanize, but where you have the x-rays and so far have gotten a few negative oppinions on it, it probably isn't just coincidence.. You should be able to find any vet who can read an x-ray though, whether they specialize in exotics or not
post #57 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 04:43 PM

Thank you for all your help and info.
Today I had to make a hard decision but I think it was the right one to make.
My little one was put to sleep a few hours ago.
Thank you all again, I hope he is in a better place now, without the pain.
post #58 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 09:21 AM

Don't Know What's Wrong

i have been feeding my chinchilla critical care for some time now. she is still pretty spunky but not herself. she is 2 years old.

i have been taking her back and forth to the vet and he is not quite sure what is wrong with her. he found some bacteria in her stools so i started to give her baytril. after i gave that too her she was feeling so much better... she was back to her old self. as soon as i took her off, she started to refuse eating as much of the critical care and wasnt as energetic, so i took her back to the vet. some of the same bacteria was still there. so we put her back on baytril. she responded well, but not quite as well as the first time. so my vet isnt sure what to do. he thinks the next step is to rule out possibilities of other illnesses. so he recommended doing x-rays and blood work. i am a little hesitant on doing this because it seems like a digestive issue. he also looked at her teeth and said they look perfect. she is not drooling or have watery eyes. So i guess my question is, do you think that i should still at least have the x-rays done, which i have not done since i got her? I also dont know much about the blood work, if you have any info to share that would be great.

thanks

erica
post #59 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Rodentologist

Do you remember the type of bacteria? Some types, like giardia, can be very tough to get rid of and may require extended periods of antibiotics.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #60 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 04:51 AM

I don't remember what bacteria it was but I know it's not giardia.

Tags
animal hospital, exotic vet, guinea pig, pet store, shredded wheat