Mastitis? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Mastitis?

Can anyone tell me the signs of mastitis? Tonight Alice was up on the side of the wheel (I have it laying on its' side for baby safety) and her front left teat was dangling. At first I though, goodness she's chunky. Then I reached in and felt it and it's huge!! Not real hard but firm. The kits are 6 weeks and one has been weaned. Could it be they were both nursing from one teat and it's extra full cause only one is nursing now? Or should I be worried?

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 12:06 AM
bluegirl

Question mastitis

Swollen, red teats - possible discharge- Temp?? I 'll find out some more symptoms of mastitis.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 12:14 AM
bluegirl

Yes, red or purple spots...Hot and swollen to the touch. Anorexia, depression, fever...possible symptoms.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

It feels like a soft knot about 2 inches long. I am going to try and put a hot compress on it but she's my most ornery chin...

By the time I got her out of the cage it wasn't too warm anymore but I did put it on and massage the teat while I held it there. Not fun or easy. Is there anything else I can do?

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 08:24 AM

I have not heard of mastitis in chins before.

Was the baby just weaned? If so, it probably takes a couple of days for the milk to be reabsorbed by her body. I'd keep an eye on it and call for a vet appointment for maybe Thursday. That way, if it goes away, you can cancel.

Also, does she seem to be grooming it or indicating that it hurts?

Good luck.
Patti
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 09:21 AM

It is not abnormal for them to have a knot like in their teats when they are nursing.

With Mastitis she would not be eating or drinking, would have a temp. Are the babies weaned? If not go ahead and wean them at 6 weeks it is perfectly safe (if the weights are good) It does not sound like mastitis to me. (we have only had mastitis one time here-the chin stopped eating and drinking and was very lethargic)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Thanks guys - one kit is still nursing, the other is not. I'll keep an eye on her.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 10:59 AM

Good luck on your chinnie!:hershey:
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 04:06 AM
Princess in Waiting

When in doubt, CALL THE DOCTOR!!!!! It does sound like mastitis and can be quite painful. Get it looked at - or at least an opinion on the phone.

Critter

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Nah, it went down on its own 2 days later. She's fine! lol

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 04:47 PM
Princess in Waiting

Or so you like to think. After all, you're sending this problem on to someone else. . . . . . .

Please keep an eye on her. This is, after all, National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and doesn't have to include just humans! Furry friends get it too!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

You're telling me? Mrs. Freak-over-every-little-thing with my chins to keep an eye on her? I have probably fondled that breast more than Mike ever dreamed of doing! LOL

And honestly I take offense at the comment that I am "sending this on to someone else." It's not like I am dumping my sick chins on someone who has no idea. Alice's breast has cleared up and it was most likely just engorged, as Sassy herself suggested. Please don't think that I would "pawn off" a problem onto someone else. Sassy knows everything there is to know about my animals. She taught me most of what I know!

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 08:19 PM
Princess in Waiting

Okay, okay - you and your hormones - out of my throat!!

I was just teasing you, sweetie. Don't you know that by now? And I don't think you realize how sad it makes me to see your chins going away - I can't get a "fix" every so often if they are gone!! And I also know what I went through before I was allowed to purchase one of your chins - you ain't no slacker in that department!

Forgive me???

Critter

CRITTERCALL

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Of course.

Wife to an amazing man,

|