Mating question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Mating question

About a week ago I intriduced two of my chins who seemed to be very find of one another. They have become quickly attatched to one another, never any dissagreement since I paired them. I did set their cages together about a week prior to the introduction to test the interactions. I also spent their first night together with them just in case it was all going much better than I expected and it continues. These two are female and male standards the male being a few years older.

She was mounted within a few hours of their moving in with one another, she seemed fine with it. I often see her being mounted since then. I've never seen chins mating. I am not sure if this is dominance mounting or mating mounting. How long does a typical mating mounting last?

Tonight she is on a driven mission and it must be a secret mission as she isn't telling me what this is all about. I tried to find some information on pregnant chin behaviour but didn't come up with what I was going after, she might not be pregnant either but here is what she is doing.

She lives in a big Cal-cage, the kind you house big parrots in. I am thinking to move her if and when I figure out if she is pregnant or not so she doesn't hurt herself but I digress. This cage is equipped with several ledges and branches for climbing and jumping all around. Tonight she is driven to run her mouth up and down all the bars in the cage as if to either be chewing on them, although she has a half dozen better choices to chew accessible to her. I put hay in their cage, she immedietly decided it didn't belong where I set it (where I always set it) and was "moving" the pile best she could and what finally set me off to see if I could get more information is she will not allow her pellet crock to remain upright. I swear she is obbssed tonight. It almost seemed angry when she was going at the hay, watching her picking up the hay and almost throwing it? I think if she could throw , we'd have hay across the room from her cage.

She is in a fine enough mood, I held her, petted her, she sat with me for awhile, but once back in the cage, she was back on her mission. The male seems to just be kicked back watching all this, he is normally more vocal when he is up but I imagine she told him to keep his big mouth shut and sit there. I dunno, I guess I'll be more concerned if it lasts through tonight but I've never seen any of my chins act this way. She (Mary Beth) is so laid back, so sweet and cuddly to see her behaviour so drastically different is unsettling. That's it she needs a sedative, some chinnie valium tonight.

I talked with the cats to see if they had harrassed her somehow today but I imagine they have been sleeping on the couch and in the window for hours now. Of course they claim they know nothing but suggest that perhaps I leave her cage door open tonight and they'll "talk" with her later. Oh they can be so evil sometimes. lol

but seriously, has anyone seen drastic personality changes occur overnight in a chin like these? could it be a pregnant chin thing? should I get her a pickle and some ice cream?

My wonderful loves:
Emma, Xavier, SweetPea, Mr. Pickles, Mary Beth, Sheldon,Zena,Cadbury,Kapuah,Walter,Lou,Chip, Dilbert, Cartman, Gessepi,Miranda, Henry & Riker (my chins)/ Bunny, Little Cat,Clarissa (cats) , Lucy & Grace (Dappled Doxies) Simon (GSD puppy), Cookie (Australian Shepherd puppy), Captain Jack (cockatiel)
Bella Chinchillas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 03:02 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

It was probably just dominance mating. Most chins will take a few months to get aquainted enough to mate. If she is indeed preg, you would most likely not see any changes in her for several weeks still.

You house them in a parrot cage?? If that is the case, I have to say.. that is very dangerous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 04:47 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I agree with Chrisanne!!!
Also her drastic change in mood could be a result to her new "enviroment" the littlest of changes can upset a chin, new location, new housing, ect.... If the 2 are truly getting along then give it a few days to let them settle into together. Yes you can keep an eye on them like you are doing however I would just let them be for the most part with the exception of putting hay and food in their cage for a few more days.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Kansas City Chinchillas

It sounds like she IS angry and throwing a fit. I have a few chins who do this and don't hesitate to let me know when they don't like something. She should calm down after some time passes. I agree with the dominance mounting by the male.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisanne
It was probably just dominance mating. Most chins will take a few months to get aquainted enough to mate. If she is indeed preg, you would most likely not see any changes in her for several weeks still.

You house them in a parrot cage?? If that is the case, I have to say.. that is very dangerous.

What is dangerous about the parrot cage that I am oblivious to? ok my anxiety meter just skyrocketed

and when and if they do mate, how do I know the difference between mating mounting and dominance mounting?

My wonderful loves:
Emma, Xavier, SweetPea, Mr. Pickles, Mary Beth, Sheldon,Zena,Cadbury,Kapuah,Walter,Lou,Chip, Dilbert, Cartman, Gessepi,Miranda, Henry & Riker (my chins)/ Bunny, Little Cat,Clarissa (cats) , Lucy & Grace (Dappled Doxies) Simon (GSD puppy), Cookie (Australian Shepherd puppy), Captain Jack (cockatiel)
Bella Chinchillas
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn
About a week ago I intriduced two of my chins who seemed to be very find of one another. They have become quickly attatched to one another, never any dissagreement since I paired them. I did set their cages together about a week prior to the introduction to test the interactions. I also spent their first night together with them just in case it was all going much better than I expected and it continues. These two are female and male standards the male being a few years older.

She was mounted within a few hours of their moving in with one another, she seemed fine with it. I often see her being mounted since then. I've never seen chins mating. I am not sure if this is dominance mounting or mating mounting. How long does a typical mating mounting last?

Tonight she is on a driven mission and it must be a secret mission as she isn't telling me what this is all about. I tried to find some information on pregnant chin behaviour but didn't come up with what I was going after, she might not be pregnant either but here is what she is doing.

She lives in a big Cal-cage, the kind you house big parrots in. I am thinking to move her if and when I figure out if she is pregnant or not so she doesn't hurt herself but I digress. This cage is equipped with several ledges and branches for climbing and jumping all around. Tonight she is driven to run her mouth up and down all the bars in the cage as if to either be chewing on them, although she has a half dozen better choices to chew accessible to her. I put hay in their cage, she immedietly decided it didn't belong where I set it (where I always set it) and was "moving" the pile best she could and what finally set me off to see if I could get more information is she will not allow her pellet crock to remain upright. I swear she is obbssed tonight. It almost seemed angry when she was going at the hay, watching her picking up the hay and almost throwing it? I think if she could throw , we'd have hay across the room from her cage.

She is in a fine enough mood, I held her, petted her, she sat with me for awhile, but once back in the cage, she was back on her mission. The male seems to just be kicked back watching all this, he is normally more vocal when he is up but I imagine she told him to keep his big mouth shut and sit there. I dunno, I guess I'll be more concerned if it lasts through tonight but I've never seen any of my chins act this way. She (Mary Beth) is so laid back, so sweet and cuddly to see her behaviour so drastically different is unsettling. That's it she needs a sedative, some chinnie valium tonight.

I talked with the cats to see if they had harrassed her somehow today but I imagine they have been sleeping on the couch and in the window for hours now. Of course they claim they know nothing but suggest that perhaps I leave her cage door open tonight and they'll "talk" with her later. Oh they can be so evil sometimes. lol

but seriously, has anyone seen drastic personality changes occur overnight in a chin like these? could it be a pregnant chin thing? should I get her a pickle and some ice cream?

YOU CAN SEE IN A COUPLE OF DAYS IF SHE GETS ANY BIGGER OR CALL THE LOCAL VETRINARY

'][' ESSA :blob7:
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

First of all... you won't see any changes in a pregnant female until she is at least 6 weeks into her pregnancy. Sometimes later.

Most actual matings take place late at night. There is no difference IMO between dominance mating and actual mating. A chins mating takes a matter of seconds. After an actual mating the female will likely be messy on her underside.

What's unsafe about a parrot cage? Well, for starters its made for a parrot therefore its huge. The bar spacing is way to far apart and is not baby safe. The chins could easily get their legs twisted between those bars and break their legs trying to get loose. A fall from the top section to the bottom section could be a deadly fall. Those are just the things off the top of my head.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

ok good then we thought of the same unsafe things so far. The bottom is lined with marble tiles, the height is restricted by having shelves placed so no fall more than 6 inches could occur, because the the shelf would catch the chin. True it's not baby safe but I have been building my nursery area with appropriate baby cages. I will move the couple to the nursery in a few weeks, in case she is pregnant so they can get acclimated to that cage. I also have cages that I can move the male into when she gives birth that are easily moveable so he can be next to the new family. My nursery cages are not shelved and provide enogh room to stand with an inch or two of head room and about 2 ft long.

I liked the parrot cages because they are big and provide the interior space for me to add the shelves. My understanding is a big cage is good because chins like to hop. So I alternated the shelves in 6 inch increments all the way to the top on either side. On the bottom level is the "hutch" but not really a hutch more like a box with two sides, a critter cardboard tube and two leapin ledges.

I can't find anywhere they can get a leg stuck, so I think that is covered. Orignally when I bought the cages I hadn't anticipated the large bottom bars so spaced out, it did seem very dangerous but with the marble down, basically it is a flat bottomed cage.

I "think" the cage is safe, and I like the sturdiness of it and the look of them as opposed to more traditional cages in the house. But I would agree that if someone just took a parrot cage and didn't make any alterations to it, that would pose a number of dangers.

I have a gal I know in the neighboring town that raises chins, maybe it's prudent if I can get her to stop by and put a second eye on my cage set up just to be sure.

Thanks for the advice !

My wonderful loves:
Bella Chinchillas

Tags
cage door open