Mazuri and Corn Content - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Mazuri and Corn Content

Hey all,

I got curious last night and decided to write Mazuri a letter. Here's the letter:
Quote:
Hi there,

I am currently feeding my chinchillas Mazuri and they seem to be doing well on it. I am however concerned that your 11th ingredient is corn meal. I am of the understanding that corn in any form is difficult for an animal to digest and simply used as a filler. Is there any way that Mazuri Chinchilla could be manufactured without corn and still keep its nutritional content? If not, what is the purpose of the corn meal and why is it added in the first place?

I just want my chins to have the very best diet that they can have, and be healthy and happy.

Thank you for your time,
Stephanie
This was their response:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Mazuri. The Chinchilla diet contains ground corn rather than corn meal. The 2 ingredients provide different levels of nutrients and are used in different situations. We use the ground corn in the chinchilla diet at a very low level, however, corn is an excellent source of carbohydrate energy for animals. The starch is digestible and is not detrimental to the animals. In the chinchilla diet, you can see that alfalfa is the predominant ingredient, followed by soybean meal, then soybean hulls. These ingredients make up the bulk of the formula. The Chinchilla diet is well balanced and should give the animals a long, healthy life. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,
Tricia A. Lutman
Marketing & Technical
Communications Manager

Thoughts?

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 10:21 PM

I think I might start looking for another feed. Corn is dangerous to chinnies but yet the best food around has it in it. Thanks for writing that letter Steph.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 03:45 AM

I've wondered the same thing myself. I think that corn meal and ground corn are slightly different from just corn in that it's broken down alot already. Between that and the corn being pretty far down on the list I'm not too worried. Mazuri is so widely used and recommended it doesn't seem like there's ever been many problems with it. I personally will keep using it. If you don't like it, there's a couple of new types of pellets coming out you might wanna check out (I can't for the life of me think of the names...), or the Kline diet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 08:52 AM
Fertile Myrtle

I will continue to use it and promote it, I am impressed with their answer and the fact that they answered you so professionally.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 10:04 AM

I agree. I feel more comfortable with Mazuri which has been so widely used for so long with no problems rather than a new feed on the market. The new foods may be just a good (and probably are) but I don't think I'll be one of the first to try something new.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 10:17 AM

After researching a few other feeds I am going to stick with Mazuri, my chins have done great since they have been on it. I agree with Christi I will continue to promote it.

Thanks Jorgha for all that research you done.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

After posting this I went on a research spree for about three hours and found very little about corn being detrimental except to provide more stool.

They answered me the next day and I'm inclined to trust in their answer until proven otherwise. The fact that she differentiated between corn meal and ground corn makes me feel a bit better as well.

Stephanie

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 12:37 PM

I have to agree here... I use Mazuri and it is great. I think they were very professional in their response and that gives me more confidence in their product.

I know another breeder that tried one of the new diets out there, and it did not work at all for her. I think I will stick with what works.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 01:18 AM

Other bulletin board

I read on another bulletin board that they recently took the corn out of the mazuri. Were they misinformed? Just curious Thanks

Elena
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I believe so, yes. Considering that they just emailed me and haven't taken it out of their ingredient list ...

Stephanie

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 08:31 PM

mazuri changes their ingrediants alot. If something in the receipe gets more expensive they substitute it and thus they keep it at the same price but the quality goes to ****. on my site were going to be selling a brand of food called rancher's choice that is used by us professional ranchers in southern california. were going to be the only site offering it and it is going to be the best stuff you can buy. on the site *Edited by Admin* you can view the ingrediants and get some information on it. if you have any questions regarding it call us. it will be for sale in early janurary as right now is the holidays and were not going to sell it tell after the first. hope this helps you out.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 12:36 PM

Until they change the ingredients on the bag, I will not rely on heresay that corn was taken out. Chinrancher, would you provide the guaranteed analysis and ingredient list for us. Only companies that use collective ingredient names are able to switch the ingredients to a less-cost feed. Last time I checked my Mazuri bag, there weren't any collective terms.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 01:36 PM

I don't think that Mazuri would switch their ingredients around like that. I have heard that about traditions though... the rancher that I buy alot of my chins from told us about what traditions has been known to do.

I trust Mazuri and will stay with it.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 05:39 PM

mazuri does it as well. i have personally talked to them about it and they told me about it.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 12:36 PM
Fertile Myrtle

Even so, I agree with Candycane and until you can prove otherwise I will continue to stand behind Mazuri.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

Tags
ascorbic acid, calcium pantothenate, choline chloride, dried beet pulp, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride